Should I put my display to sleep or the computer to sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by checkTHEDRESSER, Dec 4, 2006.

1. checkTHEDRESSER macrumors newbie

I just got an iMac and im not sure if i should put the computer to sleep (have it shut down) or just have the display in sleep mode ?

Which is the healthier for my computer if im away from it overnight ?

thanks.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

depends. if it's just sitting there doing nothing, then just put the computer to sleep

3. xodus macrumors newbie

Personaly I have my computer asleep when ever I'm not using it. It saves the same amount of energy as if would if it was off, and it boots up out of it in no time. I rarely shut my computer down, except if I'm on holiday for like two weeks or something.

So basically it really comes down to what you will be using your computer for. If you are just a casual Mac user, I'd say tell you machine to sleep after 20-45 minutes of inactivity. If you are designing, creating videos, etc, You probably don't want it to sleep by itself. Screen-savers' always a good idea,too.

4. checkTHEDRESSER thread starter macrumors newbie

well if i leave it alone for 2 hours and go back to it I know to have the screen saver on, so should i just have the display sleep for a while then I'll have the computer sleep later.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you could do that.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

definitely put the computer to sleep overnight. there's no reason to leave it on but there's really no reason to shut it down completely.

7. Queso macrumors G4

8. iGary Guest

iGary

My monitor sleeps after 5 minutes and the computer at a half-hour - automatically.

I hates me some utility bills.

9. sohosid macrumors member

Also, think about installing a giant wind turbine in your back garden....if you don't have room, get a bunch of hamsters and link their wheels up to the grid.....

Sorry, can't resist the sarcasm ;)

I don't believe that saving tiny bits of energy here and there is the answer to a human race that is ravenously consuming the planet. We need to be pushing alternative fuels (hydrogen for example) and finding alternatives to plastics and such. Turn your Mac off if it makes you feel better....but you are not going to save the planet by doing so.

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

We should be doing both, conserving and working towards alternative sources. If we all thought like you, that we each don't matter and can't make a difference, then we wouldn't get anywhere.

To the OP, I don't think it's a matter of what's healthiest for your computer because ultimately, it probably doesn't make a bit of difference. Although, it's best to at least let your display sleep as the cold cathode tubes do tend to wear out and decrease in brightness over time.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i put the display to sleep after 10 mins and i never put my computer to sleep caues i don't want to get kicked of AIM incase my "peeps" need me - you should see how many IMs i get when i wake up... :eek:

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not by yourself. That's the point of those ads.

(Of course this has absolutely nothing to do with the guilt of me using more electricity than a small village on stuff that can't be slept... :eek: )

13. sohosid macrumors member

I disagree. Large corporations and governments aren't interested in working toward solutions in the slightest. Not till they're pushed to do so. With the population trying to save the planet by turning out lightbulbs they are just putting off the deadline. We will run out of coal and oil. Gonna happen. There is more than enough energy on this planet for everyone and their auntie. We just have to find ways of converting it.

In my mind, the sooner we get rid of the last remaining oil the better. Then we can stop having wars about the control of it, and move on. Might be rough for a while, but it's the only way the human race is going to move forward beyond where we are today.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Ah, but if anyone's going to come up with a working anti-matter reactor in the next year or so, my money's on you, if only as an afterthought to cut your electric bill :D

So you carry on. Just remember to tell us all about it when you get it working.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Oil is the reason for a lot of war, but without it there would be more not less, how many people would steal the first of the truly decent electric powered cars because they were too expensive for the masses, there is always a reason for war, leaders like having them. I mean, Bush went to Iraq for the oil, to improve the economy and Americas power. By America's power, I of course mean his power. Bush could not care less about the average citizen, he wants to be remembered, and without oil he and his successors would surely find another reason for war. Just remember, leaders who win well are portrayed as good in the history books; if Caesar had not been as successful as he was, we might look back on him like Hitler, and if Hitler succeeded, there is no doubt in my mind that people would look back on him as the greatest person ever and wonder in amazement at how he 'solved' the 'problem' that was minorities, and cured the world into racial purity. Bush will be looked back on, and that is what he wants, he didn't go for oil he went for glory; oil was his excuse to the party members and industry leaders, terror was the excuse to the public. Well, what do I know? I'm only 15...

16. sohosid macrumors member

Age is not a barrier to opinion! It's nice to see someone of your years with an opinion and with understanding of the World. Even if I (partly) disagree with you!

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It would have been a reality had Tesco not won planning permission for the SesshiCollider site. That, and my plan for having two guys with wheelbarrows containing lots of Duracell batteries to run towards each other on a circular track was panned by the peer review.

18. Queso macrumors G4

I suppose you could combine the two using Tesco trolleys round the aisles, but you'd have to fashion some form of electromagnetic field to prevent the Tritium molecules slipping out through the basket mesh and going all over the floor.

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Apparently this can be achieved if you continuously lick a Rev.A MBP.

20. alFR macrumors 68020

<sarcasm>
    Yes, this sort of thing is always everyone else's problem not yours, isn't it?
    </sarcasm>

Well said to those above who think we should all be doing our bit....

21. Queso macrumors G4

Clockwise or anti-clockwise? I wouldn't want to upset the natural fields of the planet by getting it wrong. It might accidentally reverse the poles and plunge us into a new dark age....or something....

22. sohosid macrumors member

No. You're missing the gist of my point.

The fact is that you're *never* going to get everyone on board. There are over 5 billion of us now, and everyone is reliant on fossil fuels.

By all means sleep your Mac, turn off your TV and drive 2 mph slower if YOU feel better about it. But it won't save the planet. Fact. It'll just slow things down a little.