Should I put my Imac to sleep or just the display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by checkTHEDRESSER, Nov 7, 2006.

1. checkTHEDRESSER macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2006
    Is it bad to have the computer sleep or is it better to just have the display to sleep?

I go back to my computer often so its on sleep mode for a day.
  2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I would say that putting it to sleep is better. It draws less electricity that way and it allows the components inside the computer to cool down. Heat is what will kill your computer.
  3. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Well it really depends on who you ask. If you ask 50 tech people 25 will say leave it on and the other 25 will say put it to sleep or even shut it down when not in use.

I'm a firm believe to just leave it on. Computers are made to run. Thats what they're designed to do. Cooling isn't an issue. If it was an issue, it would be an issue while using it as well. Heat just doesn't build up all day long. It gets to a point and stabilizes. Thats what the cooling system is designed to do. The issue with leaving it on all night long would be something like if a fan died or something and then it would overheat. Normally fans will give you warnings before they go, like vibrating and things like that.

Also, the motor in the HD will only handle so many spin ups and spin downs. Its really hard on them to spin the disks up and down all day long.

You can put the screen to sleep. Thats not an issue as much and can prolong the life of it. Screens only last so long as well. So if you were to put some things to sleep I would put the screen to sleep. Thats what I do with my PowerMac G5. I just leave the tower running and turn off the power to my display.
  4. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2005
    id just let the screen go to sleep, unless power is a huge concern for u