Should I reformat my G5 and HOW?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hatfieldgirl, Nov 1, 2006.

1. hatfieldgirl macrumors newbie

I've had my dual processor G5 for about two years. It's not full, yet, (still about 30GB left) but it's been running so slowly lately that I'm about to cry. Everything takes twice as long. It's been suggested to me that I "wipe the hard disk" or completely reformat everything. I'm not really super computer saavy so I'm wondering if that's the best idea, and if so, what's the best way to go about it without bringing my work to a screeching halt for a week.

I'm currently doing a total back up of the entire hard drive and am thinking of just dumping the whole thing and dealing with the mess. Any useful suggestions would be appreciated. I have most of the install items I need for my software (I think!) but am wondering if there is something else I can do to just clear things out and make me go faster again.

I've been having a lot of trouble with my Suitcase program lately (won't ever quit on shutdown) and I wonder if that's creating the problem. I've got lots of fonts turned on but not THAT many.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

OSX is very stable and requires little maintenance, however it is important to know and take certain steps to keep it running trouble free.

Onyx is very good and there is also a simpler version called Maintenance (from the same people) http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

You should also check out MacJanitor, this is a very simple piece of software that allows you to run the maintenance scripts. http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html

These scripts are called "cron scripts" and there are 3 of them

Daily - Weekly - Monthly (whenever you run the Monthly or Weekly script you will need to repair the disc permissions)

You can also run these scripts from the Terminal (you will ind it in the Utilities folder)

for the Daily script type: sudo periodic daily then hit Return/Enter and enter your password

for the Weekly script type: sudo periodic weekly (repair permissions after this one)

for the Monthly script type: sudo periodic monthly (repair permissions after this one)

In OSX it is important to verify and (if necessary)repair permissions before and after you update the OS or install additional software.

You will be notified if OSX permissions differ and need to be repaired.

To do this you need to follow the following steps:

1 - Click on the FINDER icon in the dock

2 - Go to UTILITIES

3 - Open DISK UTILITY

when you open DISK UTILITY it will search for your HD and any other storage device connected to your Mac.

Select your HD it should be "Macintosh HD" unless you have changed the name.

On the right side of the DISK UTILITY window you will see a number of tabs

First Aid - Erase - Raid - Restore

of these select "First Aid"

At the bottom of the widow (just above the description of the selected hard drive you will see 2 buttons on the left "Verify Permissions" and "Repair Permissions" and 1 on the right side "Verify Disk"

Click on "Verify Permissions" to check the state of OSX if you see a message saying that permission differ then you need to "repair permissions"

That is it, easy and will save you some head aches in the future.

When using OSX you will find that sometimes (not very often) it starts acting strange or unusually sluggish, the first thing you need to do in these cases is check OSX permissions and if they are OK then use "Verify Disk"

If you still want to reinstall the OS...

To do this start your computer and insert the Tiger disk... then you can double click the CD/DVD icon on the Desktop, then double click on the install option, a window will open with a restart button.

or shut down and restart while holding down the "c" key (with the Tiger disk in)

keep it pressed until the computer starts from the CD

once you have booted from the install CD open the disk utility

select the erase tab and format the HD (remember to name the hard drive or it will be named untitled)

once your HD has been erased and formated quit disk utility and continue with the installation.

when installing you will have the option to Customize the installation, you might want to select this option to avoid installing the languages that you don't need.

Its a very straight forward process.

I hope this helps

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

ozontheroad nails the important parts.
    Make sure you do all of the items he lists, reformatting and restoring will undoubtedly cause you enough headaches to last for the rest of the week.
    If you are using Suitcase Fusion, check out their mea culpa:
    http://tinyurl.com/yj8mdh
    Particularly the parts about not letting Suitcase manage System fonts, it is evil...!