Should I register with a political party?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by asherman13, Feb 6, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I'm registering to vote, and I'm not sure as to whether or not I should register as a Democrat or independant (meaning no political party).

Both my parents are registered Democrats, and I pretty much would be too. I support gay marriage and a woman's right to choose, I would buy a Prius if I could afford one, I don't like huge deficits (I.E. trillion-dollar ones), and I believe in a strong separation of governmental powers, between the federal and state governments and the branches of the federal government. I do, however, support a stable (strong isn't the right word for it, it's a bit more than I prefer) armed forces, so I generally view myself as a political moderate. I am also a staunch supporter of Israel.

I don't really want to get political mail, and I find myself lost on the issue as to whether or not primary elections are really important. What do you guys think I should do?

2. mpw Guest

I can't see any point in registering as a party member for any party, what benefits is it going to afford you?

3. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I would be able to vote in the primary elections for the particular party with which I register.

4. mpw Guest

^Oh I see we've got a different system here, no parties to speak of, you just vote in the candidate(s) you want at each election.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Just considering that if you register as an independent it may keep you from voting in some primaries, depending on where you live, like Maryland.

I can't vote in certain primaries as a registered independent.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, not anymore. California had a brief flirtation with open primaries, but it's over. Just as well. Even as an independent voter myself, I couldn't see the point of opening primary voting to non-members of a party.

As for party registration, I recommend against it.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Had a friend who was registered independent, but would actually change her registration to democrat by the deadline required to vote in primaries, and she would then switch it back to independent after the election.

Too much work, unless maybe you only did that once every presidential election year, and not for smaller primaries.

Note that now that the CA primaries have been moved up in the year, they are far more important in deciding who will be the next presidential candidate than they were a few years ago when the race was pretty much decided by the time CA voted.

Also note that you will proabably still get political mail if you are regstered independent. Although I am registered to one party, I still often get solicitations for donations from candidates from the other. You might even get more mail, since they think you could go either way.

B

9. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I get no political mail and I am a registered Democrat.

When I registered to vote, I registered as an independent. I showed up at the voting polls during a primary and the pollster asked which primary I wished to vote in. I picked the Democratic primary and lo and behold, a few weeks later I got a new voter registration card that said I was a registered Dem.

10. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i've been flirting with the idea of regestering under a ficticious party name, "Jedi" for example. i neglected to last time i registered because i didnt know if there could be any unforseen circumstances that would prevent me from voting if i did.

maybe next time i move
    :D

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'd probably have to leave your light-sabre at the door...

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

When I was contemplating this same decision, a family friend gave me this advice. Do you totally agree with on party or another? I didn't. I like certain ideas from each of them. He said then what does it really matter if you are Dem, Rep, Independent, or other? So he said which party would be the most beneficial to me. I didn't know. He said that Ambler (my town) was primarily run by Republicans so if I needed my voice heard then as a Rep I may have more pull then as a Dem. He said this is what he did. When he moved to New Jersey, his new town was primarily run by Dems so he switched parties. It made sense to me. Others have told me this is a total idiotic way to pick a party, but as screwed up as the American party system is, I don't think it isn't that far fetched.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I like being politically independent. My vote is up for grabs folks, get working to earn it.

But as noted, in California you will pay a price if you feel like having a voice in the Democratic primaries. Meaning you could miss out on being able to vote for Feingold even though you think he'd make a better candidate than say a Bill Richardson.

Personally I can't stand being associated with a party because I know that no matter where I head I'm not going to agree with anyone else's views all the time. Eventually they'd do something that would make me leave, and I'm just pre-empting that work of un-registering. :p

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I registered as a Dem in WA so I could vote in the primaries. When election time came, I voted mostly Dem because the Reps were reprehensible (not that all the Dems were that great). But I did vote for some Reps and Indies in some of the smaller elections. I don't consider myself a Dem per se, but I agree with some of the more moderate ones' principles. No one should agree with everything a party says. That's how we get into trouble when a party or party members make mistakes. Register Dem. You can always change it later and you can always still vote for someone else if you want in the general.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

solvs pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

Except for the Washington part. I'm in Ohio. (Yes, that Ohio.)

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pretty much my thinking on the matter of party registration, except that I don't miss the opportunity to vote in primaries for even a moment. They're controlled by the party insiders anyway.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh you cynic!

I don't miss the primaries either myself, but others have told me that they do so I thought I'd toss it out there.

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Sure, and while your at it, be vocal about what you expect from them.