Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I was just messin around in an apple store today and was using one of the the black macbooks (just to feel how different it was compared to my white one :p ). I opened up MS word and to my surprise it opened in just one bounce. On my macbook (see specs in signature), any MS Office app takes at least 8 bounces no matter how many times I've opened it. Is there something wrong with my system here? Should I reinstall MS Office? Why is there such a huge difference between the macbook at the store and mine (speed wise)?

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
yeah, I usually repair permissions every week or two just to keep everything running smoothly. But MS Office has been this slow for as long as I can remember. I just thought it was normal :confused: ...that is until tonight.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I find it odd that Rosetta didn't cache the translated code on your machine. It should open faster the second time around. I don't see how reinstalling Office 2004 would resolve that.

yeah, I usually repair permissions every week or two just to keep everything running smoothly. But MS Office has been this slow for as long as I can remember. I just thought it was normal :confused: ...that is until tonight.
Wow a little obsessive with permission repair. Do you verify that the NEED to be repaired?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
lol. no I don't verify...I guess it's some OCD coming through :p
Permission repair isn't a performance booster. It's simply a possible solution to resolving an application issue with its files.

I don't know why Office 2004 is taking so long on subsequent startups. I get 10 bounces for the first startup and 2 bounces on those after. If you want a faster basic text editor I suggest TextEdit.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
oh ok, thanks for the help Eidorian.

This isn't really a huge issue for me, I was just wondering why there was such a performance difference. I can live with 8 bounces, but it would be nice to have just once bounce with the specs I have.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
oh ok, thanks for the help Eidorian.

This isn't really a huge issue for me, I was just wondering why there was such a performance difference. I can live with 8 bounces, but it would be nice to have just once bounce with the specs I have.
Since it was an Apple Store they might have certain startup scripts cache files to RAM. You'd get the appearance that it's faster.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
On my PB word opens up in one bounce. So that is weird. maybe it has do with amound of ram you have

MrMacbookMan

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2007
On my PB word opens up in one bounce. So that is weird. maybe it has do with amound of ram you have

Actually it isn't the ram, Eidorian is right. The biggest difference is that the PB isn't using an intel processor. Since the macbooks have intel, anything that isn't written in universal binary has to be run through rosetta. And Bill, as far is getting it to start faster, I don't know how they got it to open in one in the store, but we're just going to have to wait until the new office in universal binary comes out. Oh well, we'll just have to live with 8 bounces until then I guess.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Go to preferences and turn off WYSIWYG font and style menus. Word will open much, much faster.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 205

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Word menu ->Preferences. Duplicate these for fastest launch.
Damn. I tried that and now Word won't open, just keeps throwing up the quit unexpectedly dialogue. :(

:edit: Argh. This is really obnoxious. :(

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 66

MrMacbookMan

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2007
I wouldn't suggest neooffice. I used it for a month or two before getting MS Office and I really didn't like it. It works mostly the same, but the smaller things really get on your nerves after a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.