Should I reinstall OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by onthat, Mar 31, 2006.

1. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

I just got my powerbook today, and it comes with the retail version of tiger...it is already running tiger, but not from the retail disc. Should I go ahead and reinstall then update immediately? When I make the update, which should I go with? Most recent?

I got the powerbook (my first Mac) off ebay and it is the 1.33ghz 15" model, no programs exist on the computer...it's only running OSX, Where should I begin?

What programs should I be looking to get? Freeware, Shareware, retail (I am willing to spend the dough if it means I won't have any problems)? I'll be using the computer for DVD viewing, itunes, word processing, and Adobe CS2...possibly an SNES emulator so I can put all the megaman games on my laptop.

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If you have a retail version of Tiger, you can re-install with a clean install - but you'll be missing many of the applications that come with a new mac - for example iPhoto and iDVD and iMovie I believe. If those mean nothing to you, then you might want to go for it. Clean installs are usually a good idea with new computers.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I'd go for a clean install if you have the time, its probably better....It will also allow you to choose exactly how you want to customise your install...

Shadow

4. loveAffair macrumors newbie

I am also wondering the same. I just got a MBP with 100gb 7200rpm hdd. I checked the space on the hard drive and there's only 75gb left. Does OS X really eat that much space? I mean, the dvd itself can't even hold that much.

If I decide to re-install OS X, would I lose the entire iLife suite of apps? And also, how hard is it to reinstall the OS, as this is my first mac. Thanks all.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i'm going to be doing this myself soon, i don't think that it is meant to be that difficult at all, just put the disk in and follow the steps.

You should have got more than one disk with your 'puter, on the other disk should be your ilife apps, you add them after you install the OS. am i right guys?

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The Hard drive size is before its formatted so you'll lose 5% to 10% of the space that the box or Mfr says,then OS X uses another 3 to 4 Gigs of space for the install of the OS.. iDvd is the biggest of the iLife apps .. so around 2Gig-ish of space you'll get back if you dont the app .. :eek:

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I believe that retail OS cd's don't have the iLife suite on them. If they are the cd's that came with the computer, then they will have iLife on them.

8. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

I can't install OSX because the guy who sold the computer to us didn't remove any of the passwords, he also didn't remove any of his personal information (kinda odd if you ask me) I sent him an e-mail requesting the password...his hint is HEAVY LADEN AIR, I tried everything. Is their a way to get around his password? I want to do my stuff now!

9. emaja macrumors 68000

Since he is stupid enough to sell his iBook without removing his data, you have to take the extra step of reformatting and reinstalling - called "erase and install" on the OS install disks. It is a pain, and almost rude of him to have done this. Big thumbs down to him. Unfortunately, you will lose all the bumdled apps. Another big thumbs down.

Why did he not include the original install disks and was this disclosed in the auction?

Perhaps you can call Apple, or buy the disks off of eBay if needed. I would want the apps, unless you plan on buying iLife anyway, then don't bother with either Apple or eBay for the disks.

As far as programs go, I use Cocktail for my maintenance, although OnyX does most of the same stuff - and more - for free.

SuperDuper and an external FireWire drive are on my "must have" list as well. You need to back up your data and SD does a great job of making bootable clones so you can recover from an emergency.

There are tons of free/share/donationware programs out there. My two favorite places to look for stuff like that are VersionTracker and MacUpdate.

10. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

smokey...that's the password, on with the install!

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Go ahead and do it, if you like wasting your time.

12. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

You can install OSX from the retail version of Tiger - hold down C, with the disk inserted, on startup - no password needed. For future reference :D
    If his password is Smokey, and the hint is "Heavy Laden Air" send him to one of the smoker threads :D - he'll find company ;)

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Agreed. A clean install is a last ditch solution to a vexing problem with your computer. It makes absolutely no sense for the ordinary user of a new computer.

If you have a brand new computer, there is no commercial version of MacOS X that supports your machine. If you erase your harddrive, your only recourse is to use the System Restore DVD to reinstall the software that you just erased. This applies to all Intel-based Macs.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But it seems to make some people "feel better," though how and why it does, I've never understood.

15. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

the original version on the computer was illegitimate, that's why they provided the retail copy of OSX...not sure why he didn't put it on the computer himself, that's his issue. I installed the OS and wiped out his data, for some reason the HDD on the desktop is still named "kingdom" ...perhaps that's what it is supposed to be called. Anyshit, many thanks to IJ Reilly for being a twat and crapping all over my thread.

by the way, iLife was not on the computer...just a bunch of miscellaneous widgets, 50 cent songs, and personal information.

p.s. I made it clear that this was my first Mac and that I'm unaquainted with the software, any decent human being would have offered me useful advice regarding my situation and questions, not just read the title and throw a shitfit over the stupidity in reinstalling an operating system. Thanks to everyone else.