Should I repair or just trash my 3g iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by noel4r, Feb 17, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hey all, my 3g iPod 15GB has been diagnosed w/ a broken hard drive. It will cost $109.00 to replace the hard drive and they will also replace the battery w/ a new one for free. Is it worth it? I have a Video iPod already. I thought of having it repaired then sell it on ebay but the cost will be about the same. So.. any thoughts??

2. macrumors 604

zap2

kept it, its the coolest of the iPods

intall iPod Linux on it!

3. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

don't trash it keep it but don't pay all of that to replace the HD just get yourself a new ipod.

Bless

4. macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I was thinking the same, when I realized my 3g iPod won't be around for ever. I'll keep mine when it breaks, because the 3g is a classic.

5. macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Why is it a classic? I've got one, a 40GB, but I always thought it was the black sheep of the iPod family. I guess I prefer the click-wheel over the four butons....

6. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Keep it for show. Its an awesome iPod.

7. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

You could always sell it on eBay. You won't get much since its borked but it would be more than just throwing it away. People will buy anything on eBay, never quite figured out why.

8. macrumors 603

Warbrain

Keep it. I've got a 3G iPod that I'll never get rid of. I may not use it as much now since I went and bought a shuffle for the commute, but it's a classic. And it's better than those fangled click-wheels. At least I had some method of using an iPod that did what I wanted it to do and isn't schizo like a click-wheel is sometimes.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it a classic because it's not a click wheel? Wouldn't that make the 2G a classic as well?

10. macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I really like the new iPods a lot, but the red glowing buttons and the pure white body are just classic.

11. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Maybe I'm dreaming this but doesn't Apple supply $50 for all traded in iPods so the hard drives can be properly recycled? ... maybe I'm completely wrong about that though

12. macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'll give you $20 for it. :)

13. macrumors 65816

chaos86

buy a broken ipod on ebay. get one with a broken screen or broken dock connector or something so you know the HD is fine. take that HD and put it in yours.