Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benneh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
I know most MBP has few minor faults when it was first opened, but I'm not sure if I should repair them to justify the few thousands I paid.
Prolems include:
  • Trackpad button is not aligned, leaves a gap
  • The space bar is warped, and not flat
  • The battery doesn't fit nicely in the slot properly. I've seen other MBP in stores where it feels smooth underneath
  • and the main that annoys me: The latch requires some effort to open. Its hard to open in one go, and have to move my finger side by side until both latch are free...
I'm also not sure if they would fix it as I've accidentally made a scratch on the top case.

Would you fix these?
I just need a second opinion ...

xtopher

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Ontario
i most definatly would if it came like that(im kinda anal though) its one thing if you scratch or dent something yourself but to buy a new piece of equipment and have it banged up, thats just not cool!:D

benneh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Get 'er fixed.

That latch problem could lead to worse issues down the road.

Really? In what way could it be worse later?

Does warranty cover these repairs? I'm worried the authorised apple repair stores (not actually apple store) techs can't be bothered with these repairs and tell me they can't do the fix...

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Warranty do not cover those issues. Do they affect the functionality of your computer in any way? No.

Frankly I am starting to get tired of this "thousands of dollars I paid" whinging. Apple does not need your money, if you think so highly of your pennies Mickey Dull would appreciate them a lot :)

Think about it rationally and ask yourself. What do you expect for a computer that costs thousands of dollars like the Macbook Pro? Stuff like battery not fitting, keys not aligned perfectly to a tee, etc... come on, things are mass produced, there is such a thing as manufacturing tolerances.

And of course that said you are perfectly welcome to spend your thousands of dollars elsewhere and see what that get you (probably not much better). Macs are somewhat less than IBM quality for less than IBM price, and they look good to boot and run OS X. They are great value.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
I know most MBP has few minor faults when it was first opened, but I'm not sure if I should repair them to justify the few thousands I paid.
Prolems include:
  • Trackpad button is not aligned, leaves a gap
  • The space bar is warped, and not flat
  • The battery doesn't fit nicely in the slot properly. I've seen other MBP in stores where it feels smooth underneath
  • and the main that annoys me: The latch requires some effort to open. Its hard to open in one go, and have to move my finger side by side until both latch are free...
I'm also not sure if they would fix it as I've accidentally made a scratch on the top case.

Would you fix these?
I just need a second opinion ...

The battery issue concerns me. If it's not fitting right it might be swelling. A few of the macbook pro have this iusse. The battery starts swelling and become unable to hold it's charge. That is covered under warrenty. You can send it in for that, mention the other issues, they will likly fix them if they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.