Should I replace my Mac G5 with a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kmaultsby, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    #1
    I am getting ready to purchase my a new HD camcorder maybe the Canon AH-1 anyway jumping from PC to mac not to long ago I was wondering is it a good Idea to switch from my G5 2.33gHz duel to the new Mac Pro with the intel chip? Just would like some opinions.:)
     
  2. Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #2
    That depends, do you find your G5 too slow. If not, then its not worth the upgrade.
     
  3. macrumors 68040

    trainguy77

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    #3
    Well what applications will you be using? Are they universal? Also do you think its worth the money for the upgrade? Is your current system too slow for you? I would probably stick with the current system for atleast another year.
     
  4. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    #4
    I would stay with PowerPC just because I love PPC and i'm not ready to switch back to an intel based machine yet. But that's my opinion. If you have the later G5 it should perform just as well as the Mac Pros.
     
  5. macrumors 68040

    trainguy77

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    #5
    Well if the program is UB then the mac pro will out perform it.
     
  6. macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #6
    Pro. 4 internal SATA drives vs. 2. Faster processing for Apple applications. Possibility still of getting a decent reale price on the G5 (not so much in a coupla months when the Adobe suite will be Universal).

    Con. New machine will cost a bundle for RAM.
     
  7. macrumors 6502

    Macintosh Sauce

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    I would get the Mac Pro, and sell your G5 while you can get the most money for it in the used Mac market.

    I got lucky when I sold my old Power Mac G4 (dual 1.25 GHz MDD) on eBay for $1000. That helped me a lot in getting my new Mac Pro, and I do not regret making the move at all. This computer is the bomb!

    Don't forget... When Mac OS X 10.5 is released, it will be a full 64-bit OS - the Mac Pro is actually going to be faster than with 10.4.
     
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    #8
    I will be using this for final cut pro which is universal also with I life and Microsoft office
     
  9. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2006
    Location:
    Portland
    #9
    Should you switch?

    Only you can answer that.

    You have to decide if the extra outlay now is worth it. Running FCP, it will be faster. But you need to balance the extra speed with the cost of the upgrade. G5s can still command a decent second hand price, but not that great. That's why I just bought one instead of a Mac Pro. I got a G5 AND a monitor for around half the price of a Mac Pro on it's own. For me, using mainly Photoshop, Lightroom etc, the extra speed doensn't justify the cost. Today. It might in a year or so.

    Mike.
     
  10. macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #10
    If you got the money for a Mac Pro, then get one.

    I really don't see a reason to get one, the G5's are plenty fast, but if you'd like to future proof yourself, get an Intel.
     
  11. macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #11
    Yes.
     
  12. macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #12
    Do you really need the speed increase? A dual G5 is still an extremely capable machine.
     
  13. macrumors 603

    Cromulent

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    Location:
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    #13
    While the G5 might be fast, you also get the advantage of being able to run Windows on the Mac Pro which is pretty good if you ever need to test things in Windows (or play games).
     
  14. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2006
    #14
    If you keep the G5 much longer, you might as well keep for at least another year or more. Because like the others are saying, the resale will plummet with 10.5 and the Adobe releases coming up. And you won't want to resell when that happens, you will not get much (market will flood with people that were waiting to sell) and you will have to add alot more $.

    If it were me, I would sell the G5 now and get as much as I could. Assuming you have the funds available, that is the cheapest way for you to get into a Mac Pro
     

Share This Page