Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I bought a used Mac mini a couple weeks ago and the hard drive failed. I hooked up a external firewire drive and now use that as the boot drive. It works great but I should I replace the failed drive or just leave it alone. Is the internal drive normally much faster than an external firewire drive?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I bought a used Mac mini a couple weeks ago and the hard drive failed. I hooked up a external firewire drive and now use that as the boot drive. It works great but I should I replace the failed drive or just leave it alone. Is the internal drive normally much faster than an external firewire drive?

The internal drive will be faster in most respects than any fw drive. However, you can get a lot more capacity on an fw than the internal. Choice is yours.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I like having lots of HD space so maybe I will just leave it as is.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
I just swapped out the 80GB drive that my Mini came with for a 7200rpm 200GB drive I got from OWC. The process is not difficult and took me ~15 minutes for the drive swap and ~1 1/2 hours for Carbon Copy Cloner to do it's thing.

From my experience, booting and running from an internal drive is much quicker.

seattle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I just swapped out the 80GB drive that my Mini came with for a 7200rpm 200GB drive I got from OWC. The process is not difficult and took me ~15 minutes for the drive swap and ~1 1/2 hours for Carbon Copy Cloner to do it's thing.

From my experience, booting and running from an internal drive is much quicker.

I just ordered a 120GB from OWC since they had it on sale for $39.75. Thanks again for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.