Should I Return My 360 in Exchange for a Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Scootie Puff Jr, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Scootie Puff Jr macrumors newbie

OK, So I have been watching these threads for a while and after standing in line for 3 hours to get a Wii and failing I decided to just go ahead and buy a 360 (I got a $100 gift card back from Toys R Us.) :rolleyes: I am really enjoying Elder Scrolls Oblivion on the the 360 but I just keep thinking that I am missing out on something special in the Wii. Just for reference I am mid-30's married with a 3 year old and a baby on the way so my gaming time is usually an hour or two after everyone else in the house has gone to bed. We do have an LDC HDTV. I keep telling myself that if I got a Wii my 3 year old and I could game together. I am seriously conflicted here. :confused:

Thanks for your advise.

2. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I tell you, there's nothing more satisfying than defeating a 3 year old in Wii Tennis. :D Heh. Anyway, I think the Wii would suit you more for the amount of time you have. It will also be something that everyone will be able to easily pick up and play together....

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I would see what games are out/upcoming titles for both systems, then take a look as to how much time you will have. me personally I would keep the 360 for myself and pickup the wii in a couple of months when you can just walk in and say "Hey I want that". If you like oblivion so far, Mass effect is coming soon, GRAW2 will be out before march, and right now I am having fun Star trek legacy, and rb6 vegas - Now only if they had 'welshie' in startreklegacy;)

4. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

yeah...

i love my wii, but there is a much larger selection currently for my 360.

It's a toss-up.

5. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I bought my kids a Wii, but want a 360 for myself.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm in my mid thirties also, I don't have kids, but a majority of my friends do along with my cousins that live locally. The Wii is the first console that we have all enjoyed playing. Ages have all varied from your kid's age up into the seventies.

The X360 has its perks, but I vote for fun and the Wii pounces all others in this area.

<]=)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The 360 is for solo play and online gaming

Wii is best enjoyed with a group / party of people.

Both together gives you ultimate pleasure :D

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, if you were some snotty teen I'd say keep that 360 but as it's already been said- A Wii would probably suit you better. What with time constraints, plus getting your family involved.

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Keep your 360 and get a Wii when you have the spare $$$. Without Wii there is no Mario or Zelda, without 360 there's no.. erm. various exclusive apps.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dont make a decision now regardless.

Nintendo has only just released wii. Wait a month or two to make sure Nintendo come through and release software at reasonable intervals, otherwise you and junior might end up having to play the same thing for 6 months before nintendo decide to follow up.

11. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

No because the Wii has only a few games out so far. If its anything like the gamecube you will have to have both just to have some games to play. Are most nintendo gamers really into Excite truck and red steel? No. Not in Japan. where the heck are the turn based RPGs and when are they coming. 60% of video game players play Turn based RPGs the most. Japan love those types of games.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What has that got to do with anything Where the heck are they? Where the heck are the Xbox 360 or PS3 turn based RPGs? :rolleyes:
    So using this whole argument, why is the Wii selling so well in Japan despite it lacking a turn based RPG? Like the launch of that Blue Dragon RPG really pushed the 360 above the Wii or DS in Japan :cool:

MRU has the right idea, but how long have you got until you can't just take the console back for money? I know in the UK it's something like 14 days in most shops. Probably be best pushing the return date to the limit then making a decision. They're both very good and very different machines after all.

13. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I would say definitely get the Wii.

I think you would have a LOT more fun with the Wii because your familiy could play too. There aren't a ton of games out there for it besides Zelda, but more will come.

If possible I'd keep them both, but not everyone has that kind of cash to blow on game consoles/games.

14. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Unless your 3 yr old is going to be playing games, and to be honest i don't see that happening, I would say keep the 360, then in a year or two when your eldest is more able to play (hold the controller and understand what to do) you can get a Wii probably for less than you can now, likewise the games will be cheaper, or get a Wii 2 or whatever the upgrade is.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Wii already has a high-profile adventure game (Zelda) and a turn-based RPG (Pokemon Battle Revolution is out in Japan, and its online!), and a Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest game on the way.

16. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I say keep the 360 and when prices drop (maybe next year) buy the Wii and enjoy both :D

17. stagecustom macrumors regular

agreed. the op will regret selling that 360 when games like Halo 3 and GTA come out. :) :eek: :D

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But the OP said he liked Oblivion? Halo 3 and GTA are about as far from Oblivion as they come. But out of curiosity Scootie Puff Jr, what sort of games are you into?

And about your 3 year old playing too... My cousin in Germany has a 4 year old, they got a Wii and say she can play Wii Sports. But thats a whole year ahead so *shrugs* :)

19. v-ault macrumors regular

your daughter is too young to play the wii with you anyway. My 6 year old cousin couldn't understand how to play it and I constantly had to move her hand for her in order to just throw the bowling bowl. The wii is really over-rated in the sense that anyone can play and how fun it is. Sure playing wii sports is fun with family, but nothing compares to gears of war online.

20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well coming from a household with both a Wii and 360, I'm really not quite sure...I'll give you a brief description of my experiences with the consoles and you may decide

Xbox 360 - I've only played Call of Duty 3 on this bad boy so far, I have Oblivion but am yet to open it, mostly because I've only racked in about 2 hours of game time on my 360 so far. Graphics are nice, but I don't see the library as family friendly so much as guy friendly :D

Wii - Played it for the first time tonight with my lady. She sure had a ball, and I was surprised with the fun I had (I can see now why my brother has been playing it non-stop) We only played Wii sports, but I found boxing especially fun. However, I more of an older crowd/controller based game kind of person, so 360 still remains my personal console of choice.

I guess it depends on more on your gaming needs or whats more family appropriate, unless your a Zelda/Mario kind of person. If you are that kind of person, Wii all the way. But if your more my tastes, I'd hold on to the 360 and get the Wii once it's in stock, as it's not very expensive. That's just me though. :p

Edit: I forget to mention, the Wii is an excellent 2 people + console, so it's great if you have a lot of groupings, but it's seems kind of depressing being played alone... The 360 has some great multiplayer games no doubt, but it offers more points for the anti-social in all of us :D

21. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

Wii is my only chance to get my wife involved in video games. She tried it out and liked it. That to me is far more important than great graphics. Too bad I haven't been able to find one at retail yet!

22. mwsh2000 macrumors newbie

I don't have a comment about the xbox 360...

...but I can give some feedback on the Wii. My son (who turns 4 in a few days) loves the new console. He loves watching me play The Twilight Princess, and he's had a blast playing the Mario games I've downloaded from Virtual Console (Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros, and Mario 64). You have to remember that kids that age don't really care about beating games. He'll run around in Mario 64 just jumping and swimming around, not really trying to accomplish anything, but having fun regardless. He also really likes Excitetruck (which he does pretty well with). He did have difficulty with Wii Sports, but that's more because he's a kid, and you need a reasonably fast reflexes to hit a baseball or tennis ball. My wife loves that title though, so the whole family (except my 18 month little girl) has been enjoying the Wii.

23. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

My friend's daughter is 3 and she plays. She also rated the same Wii Fitness age as me. :eek:

<]=)

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nothing more to add to the thread, but just 1 comment.

Nice username Scootie. Futuarama rocks :D

25. Scootie Puff Jr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks For the Help!

Thanks to you all for the input. In looking at your remarks I realized that I am primarily (until my daughter gets just a bit older) a solo gamer. I previously played Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR on my mac and loved both of them so I am primarily into RPGs. Given these factors and the fact that my best friend (who lives 300 miles away) has offered to buy whatever I decide upon so we can game online I think I am going to stick with the Xbox 360. I feel a bit traitorous having a microsoft product in my home though:p

I have had all the previous Nintindo consoles up through the N64 then I got a PS2 as a wedding gift so now I will have had one by everybody. Once my daughter is just a bit older I will either pick up a Wii for us or get the Wii 2 or whatever the next-next gen is.

Thanks.:)