Should I sell it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by glay, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. glay macrumors member

    Sep 1, 2004
    Hi guys, I bought a 12" 1.33Ghz G4 powerbook in med August. It was my first mac and I was and still am blown away by how good is (compared to my old windows notebook :p) The thing is, I am wondering if the G5 is just around the corner from being released and should I sell my G4 now and get one of those. I just bought this notebook but I would really like the latest one since I bought it so recently and I wouldn't want it to be outdated so fast. Any advice on what I should do would be great?

    Thanks guys!
  2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

    Sep 17, 2004
    This is hardly the time to decide whether to sell your current PowerBook. When the G5s are released, check up on the reviews, see if you want one, and then consider whether you want to sell. Furthermore, a 1.33GHz G4 is nothing to scoff at. I have an 867MHz PowerBook, and love it to death. I'd never sell it, even if I did want to buy a brand spanking new PowerBook G5.
  3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030


    Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...hang onto it...there is no exact timeframe for Powerbook G5's yet - it is all just rumour. There is *always* going to be something newer and better around the corner - what you have is excellent. I use an 867Mhz TiBook and it is still perfect for what I use it for. Also, Mac's tend to keep their value a lot better than most Windoze computers do...should G5 Powerbooks come out early next year and you still decide you want one you'll still be able to sell what you have for a decent price.....oh yeah!
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If it does everything you want it to quickly, then why get a faster computer? My 1GHz 12" PB does everything I need, although I need more RAM (I have 512MB), but even if I were to get a faster PB, I wouldn't notice the speed difference. None, especially if you don't have speed problems.

    If you need to have the latest just to have it, I suggest you sit back and think, "Why?"
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Yes they're just around the 1 month to 24 month corner.

    Even if they announce a portable G5 Monday morning, you may not get one for a month or two.

    So there is ample time for waiting until you hear that a new machine was released.

    But since IBM is still having trouble at Fishkill...
  6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040


    May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    well there not going to be out this year...thats a fact... but my guess is mid next year or maybe end for the g5....could see a dual core in the meantime, i say keep if you love it.... or sell if you can wait for ages
  7. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a


    Apr 22, 2003
    cleveland, oh
    you've got a lot to think about. for one, you don't know how far away the g5 book is. two, when it does come out, do you really want to buy a first generation g5 book, when there are usually vast improvements in the second generation?

    apple hardware holds its resale value very well, so i wouldn't be too concerned about the wait... but that's just me.
  8. xg3 macrumors newbie

    Oct 19, 2004
    i got the new updated 1.2Ghz ibook with 1.25GB of ram.. i must say is an amazing machine when multitasking hehee. rams make all the difference in the world.
  9. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Maybe he's worried that his resale value will go down when the G5 is released - it will, but not by a huge amount.

    You can't predict when the PBG5 will actually be announced, let alone when it will actually be available to you as a buyer, so just hold on to what you got, buddy.

    I personally will hold onto my PBG4 until the PBG5 has been on the market for a while.
  10. sebisworld macrumors 6502

    Jun 24, 2003
    Sell it like a week before the Powerbook G5s are released. That way, you get to keep your Powerbook for a long time and all the stupi... nice people on eBay keep bidding, because they don't know anything about the G5 Powerbook yet.

    I'm sure that Macrumors will have the release date and some specs in advance.

    BTW, I sold my old iMac for more than the G5 model with comparable specs costs (which was released two weeks afterwards).
  11. Pixeled_Apple macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2004
    MeLbourne, Vic Aussiee!
    Yea; If it does the job; why do need to sell it? There's no point 2 it; plus the powerbook G5 won't out for ages.... so just hang on2 it... otherwise you'll be stuck in the Windoze world... What do you prefer?
  12. wPod macrumors 68000


    Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    a G5 is a little bit larger of a step than just a speed boost from a Xmhz G4 to an Xghz G4. so i think it is worth the upgrade to a G5 PB. the only question is WHEN. if you sell your current book now it could be months until the G5 PB is announced, and then a couple more months before it ships! so i would NOT sell right now. i would wait until they start shipping before selling your current PB. as everyone has mentioned apples re-sale remains very high. also waiting for the second release can be good. if you look at the G5 pomwermac and G5 imac they have both had a number of small glitches in their first release.

    its really up to you, but it could be a long time until the G5 comes out. id wait until an announcement before selling.

Share This Page