Should I sell my 1.6Ghz G5 for the new intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #1
    I currently have a 1.6Ghz Powermac G5. I can sell it on ebay for 800-900. Should I do it and get the new intel iMac? also should I wait until the end of August or just get it now?
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
  4. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

    DJMastaWes

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec
    #4
    Do you have another computer? If you do, sell it now keep the money and wait untill WWDC.
     
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #5
    Next Tuesday or in August.
     
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
  7. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #7
    Next Tuesday? I didnt realize it was so soon.
     
  8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #8
    Product: iMac
    Last Release: January 10, 2006
    Days Since Update: 177 (Average = 183)
    Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle
     
  9. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #9
    it is currently my only one. I can wait until august to sell it. I dont like to wait but i can if they are going to have a new one. Also what is wrong with the new ones?
     
  10. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #10
    what are the rumors for what they will release for the new imac?
     
  11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #11
    After Independence Day or WWDC. Faster Core Duo, Merom, or even Conroe.
     
  12. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #12
    sounds good to me, I hate buying stuff and having new stuff come out a week later
     
  13. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #13
    I would say yes, sell your 1.6GHz iMac G5 and use the money to purchase a new iMac (either the current rev or the following). :)
     
  14. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

    Pistol Pete

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2005
    Location:
    So Cal
    #14

    if that machine is working fine for you than keep it until you need a new machine, thats my motto.
     
  15. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #15
    He said he has PowerMac, not iMac.

    I say keep it as long as you can, its still an awesome machine, then get rev.B Mac Pro (or rev. A if you cant wait ;))

    Of course if you can live without a computer for a t least a month, sell it now and get new Mac when they come out. You will get more money from selling G5 now, but if you use it to make a living, keep it.
     
  16. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #16
    Oops, you are right eXan. But I still say to sell it and replace it with an Intel-based iMac. :)
     
  17. ipacmm macrumors 65816

    ipacmm

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #17
    If you can get 800-900 for your iMac, I would definitely sell it and even if there are new iMac coming out, I would still unload it before the prices continue to drop.
     
  18. RedTomato macrumors 68040

    RedTomato

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    .. London ..
    #18
    If it works, keep it.

    I've gone through hell trying to upgrade stuff that actually didn't need upgrading.

    Your G5 is a fab computer that does everything the Intel macs can (apart from boot Windows, and if you've been happy with the G5 so far, trust me, you don't *really* need to boot windows.).

    I have a friend who brought the intel macs while keeping his G5, and he has been *disappointed* as the intel macs are *slower*. (cos not all his software is yet ported, and much has to run under emulation)

    As well, if you keep your G5 another year, the price will only drop about $200 or so, while in a years time, you'll be able to buy the latest greatest intel macs, (or buy a second hand 2006 intel mac for nearly half the current selling price.)

    In summary, if you have no mac, yes buy the intel, they're fab. If you have a modern current model G5 that is working well for you, it's also fab, and there's no pressing need to splash out yet more money.

    ..RedTomato..
     
  19. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #19
    Don't keep it until August as the MacPro will probably surface and kill the resale value of G5 PMs and iMacs (more than they already are). The only reason I am keeping mine is because it is a Dual 2.0 and has Applecare through 2008 so it should serve me well for years to come. In your case, I would sell that JUST before WWDC and take the money you get and use it on a new iMac or MacPro. Just my 2 cents :)
     
  20. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #20
    Very good point, I just dont want to sell it and have no computer until I buy a new one, but if I have to I will
     
  21. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

    Sutekidane

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2005
    #21
    sell it before it depreciates more than it already has!
     
  22. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #22
    There;s no guarantee that MacPro (or new iMacs) will be shipping the same day they're released, so you might end up waiting month+ without a computer.
     
  23. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #23
    thats what I am afraid of, but at the same time. I dont want to wait to sell my Powermac and I dont want to buy an imac and have it be upgraded the next month. So what do I do?
     
  24. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

    SheriffParker

    Joined:
    May 24, 2006
    Location:
    The land of love
    #24
    Keep your computer until the one you want to buy is out. Wait a couple months until you can see all of your options. There will still be demand for G5 powermacs, because not all software is universal, and some people need that native copy of photoshop. Your resale value might drop a hundred or so dollars, but that's a small price to pay compared to having no computer for a month or more.
     
  25. ccroo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    #25
    My G5 2.0 Dual Powermac - Sell or Wait?

    I checked ebay today and Dual 2.0 G5 Powermacs are going for 1500 to 1600 bucks.

    The way I figure they've already taken a price hit when the intel transition made them seem vestigal. If new Intel "Mac Pros" come out this month, that's another hit. They then stabilize until Photoshop goes Universal, at which point they become great, great computers and a part of living history -- so long as long as software makers continue to support Power PC AND Intel.

    Why buy an Intel Mac Pro when Rosetta is still necessary?

    I think we have time before we need to sell. Just keep your eye on the next Photoshop release date.

    R
     

Share This Page