Should I sell my 12" PB and buy a 12" iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lau, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. Lau Guest

    I just found out that my college is part of some network that means I could get an iBook for £600, or £720 if I upgrade the HD to 100GB. I've been having crazy thoughts for a while, as I've got a one year old 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook (combo drive), but I've been seriously thinking of selling it and buying a 12" 1.33GHz iBook. Is that insane?

    Pros of getting the iBook
    • New computer (under warranty)
    • Better battery life
    • Better wireless reception
    • Arguably a bit tougher
    • Tiger
    • Scrolling trackpad
    • Motion sensor hard drive
    • Would have money left over to buy an external hard drive, and other bits.

    Pros of keeping the PowerBook

    • This computer's fine!
    • iBooks lower quality than PowerBooks overall?
    • HD is 5400 (I think) so faster than the iBook's
    • Slightly smaller and lighter
    • Looks more professional
    • More VRAM - 64MB over 32MB
    • Can natively screen span (although I've only done this about 3 times)

    This is the first expensive thing I've owned :eek: so I'm not used to how often to upgrade, etc. My family tends to keep stuff like computers until they die, and then shell out for a new one. But this seems like a fairly good time to upgrade, as the iBooks are so good. I wouldn't be losing too much money, and I'd have a newer computer, that hopefully would hold its value. And in a couple of years when it seems a bit slow, I'll a) hopefully be a fabulous graphics professional :p and b) be able to splash out on a nice desktop.

    Will I notice the difference with 32MB VRAM as opposed to my PowerBook's 64 MB? I don't play games, but I do use PhotoShop a fair bit. I don't do any video editing.

    I don't know how much I could get for the PowerBook? £1000? £900? I don't know. It's got an upgraded HD to the faster 5400 80GB, and 768 MB RAM. If I could sell it for £900, say, that would leave me £150 to get an external HD, and £50 to get a bluetooth mighty mouse when it comes out. :D Also, I don't know where to sell it - eBay's a bit risky. Maybe to someone at college.

    I have no idea. There are so many pros and cons to it! I'm stuck in a giant dilemma. And I won't even go there as far as "When will they next be upgraded?".

    What would you do in my situation?!
  2. Deepdale macrumors 68000


    May 4, 2005
    New York
    You outlined the assorted pros and cons well. It's your call but as a non-gamer but regular user of PhotoShop, the doubling of VRAM would make some difference but maybe not enough to make it a deciding factor. Current iBooks are very nice yet I am somewhat hesitant to sell any 12" PB that has been performing well and is only one year old. BTW: Thank you for not plunging into the area of when the next upgrades will come. :)
  3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000


    Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    Hm, only you can decide. I'd probably keep the powerbook, as you won't gain any speed or whatever. Do you have a superdrive in your powerbook? It's definitely useful for storing larger graphic projects. The whole process of finding a buyer for your powerbook and setting up the new one will require some time and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Don't know, if your pb is working flawlessly then never change a system that works. Have you tried the ibook at the store or somewhere? It would be sad if you get the ibook just to find out you liked the keyboard or look or something of the pb much better. The only thing I can tell you is not to get a bluetooth mouse for graphic design, as they are too heavy and not as precise as wired ones imo.
  4. brandon6684 Guest

    Dec 30, 2002
    I'd personally keep the iBook. While there may be a few differences, it looks like the pros and cons about even out to the point where there's realy not point in getting the iBook. Keep the PowerBook for another year or so, then maybe look into the Pentium M PowerBooks/iBooks next year, then the changes will be more pronounced, and you'll probably get more long term bang for your buck.
  5. Lau thread starter Guest

    Thanks, everyone. I'm still undecided. My PowerBook has started making a strange buzzing noise when I move it. I'm worried it might be the hard drive. And the battery definitely isn't getting the life it used to. So a new Tigered-up iBook would be very nice. :confused: Can't decide! I'll mull over it some more. Thanks for the opinions though.
  6. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a


    Sep 30, 2005
    It also depends upon what software you already have on the PB. One of the things I liked about the iBook was the fact that you got the latest iLife and AppleWorks bundled in, but if you have everything you need on the PB then I'd keep it.

    Asthetically the PB looks great - not sure I agree that the iBook looks less professional - I have one and it always gets attention for the right reasons - but the Al PB does look very nice in it's own right

    If battery life is a factor, just get a new cell - it'll cost you about £100 and that puts that issue to bed right away.

    You won't ever get as much as you think for your PB on the second hand market, and remember, it's a depreciating asset, so the longer you hold out for that magic price point in your mind, the less likely a prospective buyer will share your view on its' worth.
  7. Lau thread starter Guest

    I'm just thinking now, that if I replaced the battery, that's say, £100, and if the hard drive does stop working my local reseller quoted me £180 to replace it. I could maybe find a cheaper repairer, but even, say £150 means I'd have shelled out £250 in total on repairs etc.

    But all this has happened in the last week so I'm in a slightly different position to when I posted the first post in the thread. Grrr. No doubt I'll procrastinate over it and then the hard drive will go, and I'll be stuck with repairing it whatever I decide. :(
  8. dcv macrumors G3

    May 24, 2005
    I personally wouldn't swap an old PowerBook for a new iBook... the specs are *still* better on yours than the iBook, though it sounds like you haven't upgraded to Tiger yet.

    Here's a thought... it's Wednesday, so have a look at the UK Refurb store. Last week or whenever it was, they had some good deals on PBs so you could price up a 12 inch PB (current Rev D which comes with Tiger, faster HD and the trackpad scrolling etc) and see how that compares. Also if you get yourself an Egg Money card you get an extra 10% off (as cash back).

    for some reason the refurb page is appearing blank to me at the moment, but maybe it'll be fixed later :confused:
  9. nomad01 macrumors 68000


    Aug 1, 2005
    Birmingham, England
    I sold my 18 month old 12" PB with a superdrive, 80GB HD and 768MB RAM for 800 quid on eBay a couple of weeks ago... if that helps you to gauge how financially viable it is?
  10. Jsmit macrumors regular

    Sep 10, 2004
    My Rev C. PB came with a 5400 RPM harddrive. It was a built to order option at the time.

    I would keep the PB, since it is a marginally faster machine then the iBooks. If it aint broke, why fix it? If you really believe the harddrive is dieing, it would be unethical to sell it with out informing the buyer of this. This would lower your resale value, reducing half the arguement for iBook.
  11. devilot Moderator emeritus


    May 1, 2005
    Evil booming voice!

    Lau, you know you want something new and shiny... ;)

    Okay now seriously, I did exactly what you are considering (almost, I didn't sell my 1.33GHz 12" PB, I gave it to my sister) but now that I have an iBook, I don't think I could go back to a PB unless they did dramatic changes...

    You have already outlined the exact reasons why I love my iBook so much more than my PB but I'll emphasize it again:

    -4ish hours on my PB vs 6ish hours on my iB*
    -zero to one bar of wifi reception on PB vs FULL reception on my iB*
    -'protect fragile pricey baby' vs. 'eh, this thing is rock solid'*
    -PB gets 'ouchy' hot to touch, iB at its hottest is pleasantly warm, not ever hot

    * These three points have actually changed the way I compute. I now realize what it is, and what it means to use a portable. I don't NEED to feel anxious w/out an AC power adapter, I don't NEED to sit on top of the router (<-- okay that was a bit exaggerated), and I don't NEED to clear all obstacles in my path in case I scratch/dent/hurt my laptop.

    Another poster brought up a great point-- it's nice to have the newest OS and the newest package of iLife. But keep in mind, the iB does come w/ a different bundle of apps: AppleWorks, World Encyclopedia, games, er... and no Omni software (I sorta wish I had that one).

    Hope you don't kill yourself over this decision. :eek: :D Either way, you'll be pleased.... right?
  12. PharmD macrumors 6502

    Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
    I just bought a 12" ibook yesterday. As has been said, it is much more portable than my powerbook was. Not as hot, suits my needs without paying for the extra stuff I already do on my iMac G5.
  13. drbrog macrumors member

    Apr 29, 2005
  14. nomad01 macrumors 68000


    Aug 1, 2005
    Birmingham, England
    Shut up! Shut up!! You're making me want an iBook now!! :D

    I have to say that I would really like something that feels like it could take a bit more of a beating. I always feel like I need to baby the Powerbook a little.
  15. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a


    Sep 30, 2005
    iBooks rock.
  16. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

    Aug 9, 2000
    I did the exact opposite. I purchased a 12in iBook last March. Within 3 months I had to upgrade to the PB, for all the reasons you listed and more. The biggest one:

    You cannot begin to compare the quality of the keyboards between the two. The iBook keyboard is crap in comparison, utter crap. I cannot stress this point enough.

    I agree with you on your attitude toward the care of it. My PB is treated with "great care," whilst my iBook was treated with "care". But that alone shouldn't force you to take a reduction in performance.

    Keep the PB for the Keyboard, the VRAM, Scrolling Trackpad (that model supports it, you just have to enable it), and the cost. Buying/selling computers gets expensive, even if you're getting a great deal on both ends. I've had experience in this also. (Since the sale of the iBook, I've purchased a used 15in from another MR member that was destroyed in transit, and finally purchased a 15in from a different MR member. Now I am happy.) It's tempting, but hold onto your cash, and next year, splurge on a new intel model!
  17. Lau thread starter Guest

    Hmm, thanks for all the further replies.

    I wouldn't do this! My morals are patchy, but not that patchy. ;) However, someone who could replace the HD themselves might find it better value if I knocked a bit off it - i.e. I'd have saved £180 by not repairing it, and for say £120 off they could put a new one in and still be better off. But I would definitely mention it when selling.

    Great idea, thanks. I'll have a look now....

    That's my computer (well, not actually mine :D ), great. I might put a few signs up at college for £900 then and see if anyone's interested, and to see what offers I get. If I got a good enough offer I'd do it, I think.

    I think that's it! I'm getting the Apple fever.... MacRumors, what have you done to me?! But you're right, I will be happy whatever I decide. :D

Share This Page