Should I sell my AAPL stock and buy a G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by geeyesgee, Oct 14, 2004.

1. geeyesgee macrumors member

Jan 4, 2004
    A few years back (way before the 2:1 stock split), instead of buying a new Mac I bought some Apple stock @$12/share. I have since bought a couple of Macs (I currently have a G4 desktop and iBook) but never bothered to sell the stock, sort of my show of faith in Apple during its lean years. Well, my $2K+ investment is now past ten grand and I'm having a bit of G5+23" display envy. If you were me, what would you do? :confused:
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd sell just enough to buy the computer and keep the rest.
  3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    I guess you're looking for "reward your faith!" type response.. but I dunno. I don't think selling this stock in necassarily a great idea. Christmas is coming, iPods are huge... the g5 could cost you a lot more than what you're paying.

If you have other sources from which to buy this PM setup I might do it... but selll that stock, nope. Its there, its doing well... keep it.

Besides, the Dual 3GHz is just around the corner! :)
  4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    i could very well be wrong about this, but i thought i heard somewhere of rumor of another spilt coming up...maybe it was on macrumors, i don't recall. you might want to look around.
  5. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with Chaszmyr, a few analysist have upgraded the stock to 49 dollars or there abouts, but, honestly, they've been wrong before, and will be again. Sell enough to get yourself a sweet setup, and, if your hot on another stock, invest the rest in that, because aapl's triple digit percentage growth days are probably behind it.
  6. superwagon macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2004
    hmm... I too on Apple Stock. I just try to think about what I would most regret doing a year or two down the road.

A G5 would most likely depreciate, although it would be really NICE!!!
    And of course their stock could always tank :-( ("knock on wood")
  7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    Sell the G4 desktop and enough stock to pay for what you want. A G5 and a 23" display sounds like a good reward for your investment and time with their stock.
  8. bcsmith macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    Oaktown, CA
    This should have no bearing what so ever in a decision to sell a stock. All a split does is give you more stock at a cheaper price, but you total investment stays the same. Granted, there is typically a run up in the price of a stock prior to a split, but this is mostly due to the stock being healthy and growing - hence the split.
  9. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2004
    Orange County, CA

on a nice investment, and it sounds like getting a new G5 would be another wise choice on your part.

Definitely sell a percentage of your stock, keep the rest, and "invest" in a PowerMac.
  10. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    Splits do not denote anything except that shareholders voted to have it.

However, I feel that a split would be a good thing once the Apple stock reaches 60+. (And it will).
  11. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    Apple stock is doing really well right now -- I'd suggest STRONGLY against selling any significant portion of it. It can only go up with the Christmas revenues -- and there may be new G5s at WWDC anyway. At any rate, I'd suggest for the stock to peak before you consider selling. Check with the professional analysts -- I haven't heard of any suggesting sale of AAPL right now; buy more if anything, but if you want the G5, only pay for part of it with the stock if you can, because that stock will likely be worth more this time next year.

(Disclaimer: I own no stock whatsoever and my relationship with any companies discussed herein does not extend past customership in any regard.)
  12. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    don't sell… wait until next year 2005 or 2006 when capital tax drops i don't remember when the 0% is
  13. quidire macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2004
    Washington DC (in Kalorama Triangle)
    Really what you should do is revisit this issue later.

Buy a G5 now via Apple Credit, and when the same-as-cash interest-free period wears out (6 months I think) then see where the stock is; I doubt it will have gone down appreciably, it may have stagnated. Personally I think you should be able to afford the G5 via monthly set-asides, and hell, you'll be staying in playing w/ the G5 instead of blowing the money on restaurants, so it may be revenue-neutral ;)

14. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    You lucky duck.

I agree w/the general sentiment here -- Apple has really started to get going, and it seems the momentum will last a while. I wouldn't sell it before February at the earliest (unless, of course, something giant and bad happens before then).
  15. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2004
    With the bump in AAPL on a good quarter, and considering your initial buy in price, I would consider sellling at least some and take some profits. "Bulls make money, pigs get slaughtered" is a phrase I like to consider when I own large paper profits. Yes, AAPL is likely to have some good quarters in the future (after the holidays get on the books), but a lot of forward momentum is priced into the stock already.

Consider taking your initial buy in capital off the table, then, at least you are continuing to play the upside with "their" money. Selling more or all can not be considered a mistake, however, even if you see it go up from here. If I still belived in the company (and I don't follow it as an investment, so I am only laying out my general thought process with any stock) I would take some profits on a bump up following good news and hold some with the idea of adding to it if the price drops some. Lock in some profits.
  16. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004

It is highly unlikely what you heard is true. If it is, somebody at Apple has been leaking information concerning the stocks. This would be considered insider trading is definitely not good for that person's future job perspectives (working from jail just isn't the same as working in an office). It doesn't happen very often that people outside of the company know this kind of info in advance, so I wouldn't bet on it.
  17. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    I agree with the people here that say to sell your current Mac and then sell enough of your stock to get a nice new G5. :)
  18. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2003
    Keep the Stock. That's what I would do. Seeing this post depresses me though. A couple of years ago I was thinking about purchasing Apple Stock when it was under $15 a share. I would not be suprised if we see $60+ especially with the Holidays season coming up and whatever new products Apple will offer in the beggining of the 05 year. Who knows we might see Apple come close to tripple digit shares again but most likely the stock will split before then either way Apple is performing well. Anyone think buying a couple blocks right now would be a good idea?
  19. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    I second that, sell your current setup and enough stock to get the G5 and the display...