Should I sell my eMac and get the iMac 20"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, May 3, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I've had an eMac since last April, and I'm thinking about getting an iMac.

The main reasons I'd upgrade (from most important to least):
    ~more space (smaller footprint)
    ~bigger HD (I was going to get an external anyways)
    ~bigger screen
    ~speed (only a minor issue because my eMac can do almost anything I want it to do)
    ~BT keyboard and mouse

The reasons not to:
    ~I'm going off to college in fall 2006 and getting a PB
    ~It's about $1000 (after I sell my eMac)
    ~Parents think its a waste of money

So what do you think. It's a great update. I wouldn't even be thinking about it if it wasn't for the unbeleivable update. The 20" even came down in price and thats after they put AE and BT in standard!

Well, its going to be a tough decision, so help me decide!

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Will you order the effing thing already? ;)

Man, I wish I had some of your indecisiveness. I see something pretty and nice and go "You take Mastercard?"

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh, and get an iBook for classes (the 12" rocks) and keep the iMac in your dorm. ;)

Now shoo - go order it.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Demanding aren't we? After reading your post, I almost ordered one. ;)

5. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol I knew you would say something like that. Looking at your sig I can see that you aren't lying about your "decisiveness" ;)

Well, iGary, I know what you think I should do, what about some other people here. What should I do?

6. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Get It!

Yes, get it. If I had not purchased one recently, I would jump on it!

7. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I asked the same question on spymac and they all said don't get it. I thought it would be the other way around, you guys saying don't get it and spymac saying get it.

I'll probably not get it. I just can't justify it for only having it for a year.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

At least I get to write my decisiveness off. :p

Anyway, do what you are comfortable with, if it feels like an impulse and you're nervous about it, it is probably best to wait a few days and see if you still want it. If you do, it's more than an impulse, and if you have the means, why not go for it?

Come on, this will make two of these things I've "sold" today. :p

Our production manager is getting one for home.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Perfect time to get one!

My friend just got an iMac YESTERDAY! Now he feels dumb... lol

10. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to realize that it would be an impulsive decision to buy one now and that even though it would be amazing to have, I think I'll wait it out for my loaded 15" PB/23" Display combo for college. That'll be a good 3 grand (with edu discount)

11. rkphoto macrumors regular

rkphoto

It's a pretty amazing upgrade. I just got a 20" iMac in Feburary and I love it, so I can recommend it from my experience plus this revision really makes it an even more incredible machine. I would say do it and then get an iBook (instead of a powerbook) when you go to college if money is an issue.

12. brandon6684 Guest

Yes listen to iGary. Get the iMac now, an a nice 12" iBook when you go to college. That's more or less my plan. I'm going to get an iMac when I can afford it and it will "main" computer, that way I can just get the $999 12" iBook and I don't have to worry about have a huge hard drive or a SuperDrive since I can just use the one on my iMac. At least you've got an emac to use while making you decision, I'm still stuck with this old iMac G3, while I've been able to extend it's life with RAM transplants, It's slowing down and I've basically decided to not even bother with Tiger on it and instead just get a new one. I'm still not sure whether or not to try to sell it, but with the Mac mini killing the resale value of older used Macs, I don't see much point now. I guess I can put it in my collection with my Apple II and Mac Plus.

13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Wait it out. With the iMac you're paying a lot for a small performance gain and larger, but lower quality, screen. Personally, I'd just spend $40 on a USB Bluetooth adapter (I hear the Linksys adapter is much better than Apple's built-in; even though Linksys doesn't claim Mac support, Panther utilizes it automatically), grab a LaCie external hard drive, and try to patiently wait for that Powerbook.

14. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think a nice compromise would be just to get the LaCie HD. I'd probably use it at college too since PB hard drives probably won't be above 120 or so GB by the end of 2006.

It seems like such a long time to wait for that PB... :rolleyes:

At least it'll probably be G5 by then :D

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The new iMacs are great deals. However, your eMac does everything you need it to do. Wait. There's no immediate need for a G5, and the future will always have more powerful machines which cost less.

I'm all for buying new Macs, but not when you're happy with what you have.

16. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, those damn Macs and their long lives ;)