Should I sell my iBook for a MacBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Caitlyn, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Hi guys!
    So, I've been trying to decide if I should sell my iBook G4 (1.5GB RAM 40GB HD 1.33GHz) and then add about $200 to the money and buy myself a MacBook or if I should buy an iMac when they get revised and then have two computers. What do you think? I'm really lusting a MacBook, but I am thinking that the two computer setup would be helpful. Plus I just bought an external iSight. I could always sell that with the accessory kit and then put that money towards the MacBook. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! I would also sell a Radtech Sleeve with the iBook and an iSkin ProTouch if that matters at all. How much you think I would get for it?

Caitlyn :)
  2. amacgenius macrumors 68000

Aug 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I absolutely love my MacBook you know that, so what do you want me to tell you ;) - go for it.
  3. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2005
    um yea, what kind of question is that? are you crazy?
  4. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    wow those two avatars are....similar?

Anyway, I'd keep the iBook and get an iMac to go along with it. It's nice having two computers and the iMac will be a lot more powerful than the MacBook. And that seems like a decent iBook, so it doesn't seem like it's a pain in the ass to use.

That's what I would do.
  5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    That was the first thing I noticed, too.

I'm not sure what the market value is on your machine currently (with extras), but I've done the same thing that you are considering twice in the last 3 years. I'm more happy now than I would have been with the original machine I purchased, but I lost money over the transactions (pretty much unavoidable) and really wish I had that back! :) But, having been in your shoes before, I know the feeling. Twice I gave in... and I'd probably do it again, if the opportunity presented itself.

(Anyone want to buy a 15in PB G4 1.33 GHz???) :D
  6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    you'd definitely end up paying more than just 200 for the MB.. with the student discount, the lowest MB is ~1100 (with tax). You could probably get around $700 on eBay for your iBook, but after paypal and eBay fees that may be less than $650... in that scenario, you're looking at having to add $500+ to upgrade to the MB.

just make sure you have the extra money to throw into the new computer before you sell yours!
  7. Willis macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2006
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    if you dont need two computers... dont get two. I'd say get a Macbook and be done with it. But in the end, it depends on your needs.
  8. 63dot macrumors 603

Jun 12, 2006
    wait until apple inc. puts out the newest version of the macbook, and then see

it's just common sense

and it's usually true never to buy a first version of any product from any company...either the first product will be faulty, and if not that, the second version will be a much, much better value for the money

in seven years as a mac and pc tech, i have never seen an exception
  9. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Well I really need to be able to bring my computer with me at all times, and I just don't think that if I buy an iMac, my iBook will be enough for me on the go once I get a taste of the iMac's power.

I'd love to hear some more thoughts.

Oh, and my avatar has been that for like the past year. ;) Larry's is more web 2.0-like.
  10. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Caitlyn, I sold my iBook 1.5 GB 1.33ghz G4 12in to get my current macbook. So far...I love it! I loved my iBook also but the difference in power between the macbook and iBook is huge (not surprising since the G4 is soooooo old)!!! However, I run a lot of intensive programs. If I was just using a notebook for school, internet and movies I would stick with the iBook. My iBook was really awesome when I had it (lighter and easier to carry around too!).
  11. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2002
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    Everyone's posted some good points here (1 computer vs. 2, value of your existing iBook on eBay, etc.). Personally, having two computers is a real luxury and if you don't need two, I wouldn't go that route. Having had a PowerMac and PowerBook before, I found that I really only used one computer (the PM) most of the time, and my PB sat unused in the case. Also, syncing data after trips with the PB was occasionally problematic.

I think the MacBooks are going to be updated soon so you may want to wait a little bit, even if your iBook's value suffers some in the meantime. And if you have the bucks, consider purchasing a larger display to go with the new MacBook instead of having two computers.
  12. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2006
    Central Coast, California
    I wrestled with this decision ever since the MacBook was announced. :p I had an iBook G4, 1.33GHz, 80GB HD, and 1GB of RAM...

I finally gave in a little over a week ago and am VERY happy with the decision. The MacBook really is a lot more computer, and while I can't speak for you, it was worth it for me. I got a little over $800 on eBay for my iBook, and I bought the 1.83GHz MacBook which for me was just fine. I'm very very happy. I have since upgraded my hard drive for $150 on for the Western Digital 120GB hard drive, and I will do the ram later, as soon as I can. But right now I am just lovin it. My week 29 MacBook has none of the "problems" many people have talked about, and it's just simply awesome.

So, if you don't really need the 2 computers, I really think you should go for the MacBook.

I wish you luck and joy. :)
  13. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    With the addition of our 17" iMac, the MacBook didn't seem quite as compelling when compared to the iBook.

Things that have me holding on the the iBook: Battery Life, Heat (lack thereof), Absolutely silent (no mooing), PPC (for those few non-universal apps).

The MacBook would also have been more compelling to me if it had been significantly smaller or lighter than the iBook, but it's really not.

Perhaps the MacBook/MBP will be more compelling in a rev. or two. Otherwise I'll enjoy my iMac and iBook and will wait for something more compelling. (Like a < 3 lb portable/tablet).

14. kaboutertje macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2006
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I always wonder who buys these second hand macs for such a ridicilous price. But if you can sell it for $800 I wouldn't even have to think about it I would have ordered a MB now.
  15. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    WillMak how much money did you get for your's? I would also be adding accessories that I wouldn't be able to use with the MacBook (TekStyl case, Portectorz from Radtech, iSkin ProTouch, Radtech Sleeve and Radtech Screensavr).

So, I have a few questions here. First off, would selling all that stuff with the iBook be too much and would I be losing money or would that help the auction?

Also, if I did buy the MacBook, I'd probably buy it stock 2GHz White. Would the 512MB of RAM be okay for a while until I raise about $150 to buy a 2x1GB set to up my RAM to 2GB?

I'm getting closer, but still no cigar, so more words of encouragement or stories of similar situations would help. :)
  16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I went from an iBook G4 (800MHz) with 640 MB RAM to a (white) MacBook 2.0 with 2 GB RAM (I popped in the 2 new 3rd party RAM modules before trying it with only the stock 512 MB, so I cannot really compare, though I've fiddled ). The difference is enormous. This machine flies. Ok, I loved my old iBook, but this new machine is awesome.

Enough? Or do I have to pull out some more superlatives...? :p ;)
  17. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    The imac will be a lot more powerful than the macbook if you choose to get it but it is an inconvenience having 2 computers. I really struggled on mine having to constantly exchange documents etc. Plus the fact, after WWDC, i will be buying a blackbook so i am biased anyway.
  18. jds3266 macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2006
    If you wait though then the market value of your computer will be less. Will the update be worth the added money it will then cost you... personal decisions
  19. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Dec 29, 2003
    West Coast

Why do all these people think the MacBooks are going to be updated soon?!

They only just released them about two months ago; the MacBook Pros have been out FAR longer and not gotten an update.

If anything, the Pro line will be updated soon (which will better differentiate the Pro and Consumer laptops lines), and the MacBooks will be updated sometime around MWSF...
  20. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Dec 29, 2003
    West Coast
    Oh, as for the original question, what you have to ask yourself is:

A) Do I want two machines: a kickin' desktop and an OK portable?

B) Do I want a single kickin' portable?

If you want 1 laptops, I'd sell the iBook ASAP because it's losing value by the minute. Forget this talk of "wait for next rev" as there are hundreds of happy MacBook owners posting on this forum daily.

Of course, even a MacBook won't be as nice a machine as an iMac - so if you need something with better graphics, a faster hard drive, etc, then there's your answer: keep the iBook and buy an iMac.

Basically, if the iMac offers something you need, go with the two machine setups. If, however, there's nothing you won't be able to do on a MacBook that you could do with the iMac, keep it simple and stick with one machine (and sell that iBook as quickly as possible before it's worth the equivalent of a pack of gum and two blank cassette tapes).
  21. walkthruthewall macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2006
    Orange County

i currently have two computers, an old 800 mhz flat planel imac and a 1.5ghz powerbook. in reality, I almost never use the iMac and I can see the same thing hapenning to you if you have both an iMac and a MacBook - you will use one much more and ignore the other. i am seriously considering selling the imac now, however it has much depreciated in value, so I would suggest selling the ibook now and getting a macbook. They are, from what I hear, greatly superior, plus they will be easier to upgrade as time passes and you can move it around, always a plus.
  22. gothicx00 macrumors member

Aug 7, 2006
    As far as multiple computers go, I'm not one to talk. I've got four (including my macbook pro) in my living room. Granted one is my desktop and one is my gf's and the third is a media box project that i've been too lazy to deal with. So the multi-computer thing is not one for me to comment on.

But, my recommendation would be on the Macbook. Sell your iBook, sell your iSight, sell a kidney if you feel necessary. But you will thank yourself when it's all said and done with. Just don't get any body jewlery too close to the lid, it might stick :p
  23. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    The resale of your iBook is only going to spiral faster (happens with notebooks faster than desktops anyway.)

Sell now -- and fall in love all over again!

edit: damn that sounds cheezy!
  24. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    I sold my iBook exactly like yours, and bought a MB. I love it, and I'm so glad I did it!:)
  25. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

Aug 8, 2006
    i can't imagine having two computers for personal use. i can understand one at the office for work and one at home for personal stuff, but having two at home for personal stuff seems like a headache. unless say, one is a mac and the other is a pc.

presumably you are the same person when you use either machine. which would mean you would probably want to have access to the same apps, files, etc. doesn't that mean you would have to always replicate your two machines so you are not forced to use one or the other when doing a specific task? or when you take your ibook on the road hoping to work on sth forgetting that the project is actually on the machine at home. i dunno. seems like a pain to me. i would go with one macbook. it's plenty powerful and you can take it with you all the time.