Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookPr0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
I've been thinking about doing it but I was wondering if the MacBook air is actually fast enough

marzxbarz

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
To me, they are two completely different machines for a different niche. The iPad seems more of an entertainment device whereas the MBA is more for productivity.

If you plan to type up word documents, browse a little youtube, etc., then the MBA is for you.

If you plan to play a lot of games and love the touch screen apps, stick with the iPad.

I personally would go for the MBA if I were choosing between the two, however :p

MacBookPr0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
K that's great input I think I might buy it what configuration do you recommend

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I've been thinking about doing it but I was wondering if the MacBook air is actually fast enough

Laptop outperforms a Tablet any-day of the week

K that's great input I think I might buy it what configuration do you recommend

I just purchased the "Ultimate" MacBook Air 2.13ghz 4GB ram 256SSD, as my primary & web development machine. Should be interesting.... Go with what you can afford and whatever you can afford get 4GB ram.;)

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Work some extra hours to get more money and keep yourself a MBA and iPad. No COMPROMISE FOR ME!

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010

doesn't it really depend on YOUR needs and usage

I have an ipad 3G with unlimited data. I take it with me everywhere. Coffee places, lunch, gym (great to catch up on episodes of spartacus and "24" while on the treadmill) I can easily review a presentation, do lite work on docs and I get great battery life.

But it is not a laptop or a computer...I have a MBP and iMac; so I don't need it to be those things.

Get what you need.

Last edited:

dlbernau

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
Thats what I did

I just sold my 3G ipad with unlimited data and got an 11 in Air. With the new ipad coming out soon, I thought now would be a good time to sell it. I love the air (my first mac), but miss the size and portability of the ipad-can't wait for the new one to be released.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
I just sold my 3G ipad with unlimited data and got an 11 in Air. With the new ipad coming out soon, I thought now would be a good time to sell it. I love the air (my first mac), but miss the size and portability of the ipad-can't wait for the new one to be released.

when you sell an iPad with unlimited data does buyer have a way of obtaining the unlimited usage service...just curious?

thanks

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Work some extra hours to get more money and keep yourself a MBA and iPad. No COMPROMISE FOR ME!

How do you like having both? I was thinking of getting an MBA but also really want an iPad and I know they're both different, I just wonder if my iPad would go by the wayside having an already portable MBA.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
ipad is for surfing. it isnt a real computer to produce things. got rid of mine, happily.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
ipad is for surfing. it isnt a real computer to produce things. got rid of mine, happily.

Surfing isn't the strongest point of the iPad compared to a full desktop browser. If you don't mind the lack of flash and the constant refreshing of pages (because of the lack of RAM), then the iPad works well as a surfing device.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I'm still on the fence about this. I think I'd be happy if I just pulled the trigger and did it, but there are three things keeping me from it (and I'm sure they're really not a big deal in the long run).

1) I like the idea of how un-intrusive the iPad is in public places. Working on a flat surface (emails, etc) is nice. Not a huge deal, but it's nice.

2) I *REALLY* like the integrated 3G (can't imagine owning iPad w/o it) in iPad. Always connected...no dongles. Cool.

3) I love the absolutely ridiculous battery life. I would miss that. I think that's the main thing.

All in all, I think these are not worth keeping iPad for in the end, because I really want/need the "full computer on the go" that MBA embodies.

I've already been offered $700 for my iPad (3G 64GB).

Hmm. Someone convince me already. lol.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I'm still on the fence about this. I think I'd be happy if I just pulled the trigger and did it, but there are three things keeping me from it (and I'm sure they're really not a big deal in the long run).

1) I like the idea of how un-intrusive the iPad is in public places. Working on a flat surface (emails, etc) is nice. Not a huge deal, but it's nice.

2) I *REALLY* like the integrated 3G (can't imagine owning iPad w/o it) in iPad. Always connected...no dongles. Cool.

3) I love the absolutely ridiculous battery life. I would miss that. I think that's the main thing.

All in all, I think these are not worth keeping iPad for in the end, because I really want/need the "full computer on the go" that MBA embodies.

I've already been offered $700 for my iPad (3G 64GB).

Hmm. Someone convince me already. lol.

The iPad is certainly very convenient to use in many situations where the MBA or any other laptop would be too bulky to use. The question is, how often do you want or need to use the iPad in such situations? Sure, when I am lying on bed it is nicer to have the iPad instead of the MBA to surf the Internet or play a game. Sure, when travelling the iPad is more suitable as a device to consume content. The thing is, having both and a main computer at home (like I do) is a luxury. The question here is: Can you afford this luxury? If yes, then keep both and enjoy using them. If not (and that seems to be the case with me), then sell the iPad.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
The question here is: Can you afford this luxury? If yes, then keep both and enjoy using them. If not (and that seems to be the case with me), then sell the iPad.

I fall into the "if not" category right now. haha.

Thanks for the response! :)

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
I returned mine for a Macbook Air...I have to say I'm happy I did, but the iPad is a cool gadget. They need to put 3G INTO MBAIR and it would be perfect... I have to tether or buy one of those 3G USB keys.....would be MUCH better to be able to do it how the ipad did.

pmurph5

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
when you sell an iPad with unlimited data does buyer have a way of obtaining the unlimited usage service...just curious?

thanks

Yes, the buyer can take over an AT&T unlimited contract. Google around for the details; also check eBay auctions where the unlimited contract is part of an iPad sale.

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
to me, they are two completely different machines for a different niche. The ipad seems more of an entertainment device whereas the mba is more for productivity.

If you plan to type up word documents, browse a little youtube, etc., then the mba is for you.

If you plan to play a lot of games and love the touch screen apps, stick with the ipad.

I personally would go for the mba if i were choosing between the two, however :p

x2!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My iPad is now on eBay. I know though that I am going to be getting the iPad 2 when it comes out :)
In the meantime I am going to enjoy my Macbook Air.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
I actually was in the same situation you were in.

Since I run an Apple related business and had tons of iPads come in and out, I really enjoyed using them when I had one in my hands. Therefore, I bought a 16GB refurbished iPad for business purposes and such.

Not going to lie - my friends have used the iPad more than I have. All it did was sit in the corner doing nothing. Therefore, I sold it. I decided to kind of get my money back to upgrade to a new MacBook Air.

I got rid of my iPad, and now my Rev. B MacBook Air will be packed up tonight to go to a new home. I ordered a 13" 1.86GHz, 128GB, 4GB RAM MacBook Air on Friday. I can't wait for it to come in. I will miss my Rev. B MacBook Air though. It was my first Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.