Should I sell my iPaq for an IPod mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whiteangel, Sep 7, 2004.

1. whiteangel macrumors regular

I have a 2 month old HP Ipaq 1940. I did not think that I'd switch to a Mac then. Now it seems that it is not compatible with OS X. I cannot sync my notes and I need to pay to get the software to sync my calendar and contacts, and to allow me to mount my SD card.

I was thinking if i should sell it off ebay and get an iPod mini instead.

What do you guys think?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you can afford it I think it is probably a good idea. An iPod Mini is a better piece of hardware anyway.

(PDAs are worthless for most people imho, and the iPaq wouldn't be my first choice anyway. The iPod/iPod mini are the best MP3 players on the market though. If you need some names and addresses and such with you, the iPod will sync those from your mac's address book too)

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

how much do you depend on inputing things into your ipaq?

sync software is only $40... pocketmac or the missing sync by markspace. If you find your using your ipaq more for listening to music or just casually viewing your calendar and notes then get the ipod.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Howard's advise is very sound. Keep in mind you can't input things to the iPod without your computer handy.

5. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

The iPod and iPod Mini are no where near the best players on the market overall. Sure, they are easy to use, look nice, and have stuff like contacts, calanders and games, but apart from that, they aren't that good.

Anyway, I'd recomend seeling your iPaq and getting something like a Palm Zire 72 (www.palmone.com). They are Mac compatible, and can sync with iCal, Adress Book, etc...

If you want an MP3 player, get a Rio, Creative Nomad, or an iRiver. The Rio Carbon kicks the iPod mini back to the stone age! It has 5GB of storage, compared to the mini's 4GB, and 20 hours battery life, compared to the mini's battery life of 12 hours It also has direct Drag and Drop of music to the player, no programs required. Fast transfer time too (4MB MP3 in two seconds).

6. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

I mainly use my ipaq for appointments, tasks, notes , games and listen to music when i'm bored outside.

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

A PalmOne Zire 72 or a PalmOne Tungsten T3 is the way to go in that case! They have Bluetooth inbuilt, but not Wi-Fi. It's ok though, there is a Wi-Fi card you can stick into the SD-card slot to give it Wi-Fi. Only works on those two models though for some stupid reason.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well we're not really recommending another PDA here.

I wouldn't sell the PDA. I'd just buck up and buy the software for $40 or whatever the cost is. The reason is that you'll take an equal financial hit if you had to sell your iPaq after 2 months. I'm sure it depreciated a bit......probably by more than $40. I'd just keep it if it does everything you need it to do.

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i must say, coming to a mac forum, that's quite a bold thing to claim. ;)

i just got a mini this past weekend - it's by far the best player for me because i already own a mac. and the poster here is in the same situation - if you own a mac already, for mp3 playing capabilities, iPod is the best there is simply because it integrates so well with iTunes. click wheel also helps - it's simply the most elegant and efficient means of navigating through 1,000 songs...

however, i must say, rio is also a very nice player. it's a bit bigger than the mini - volume wise - 4.95 cubic inches vs. 3.6 cubic inches. weight is lighter, but the perceived bulkiness will definitely be more for the rio because while it's hard to tell the difference in 0.4 oz. in weight, 33% difference in volume will definitely be noticeable. (remember how many people thought 3rd gen. iPods were so much slicker than the 1/2 gen even though they were almost the same size?) improved battery life is also a major plus. usb2 connection alone is a problem for me since i only have usb1 and FW. (btw, connection speed isn't a problem with iPods.)

rio is definitely nice - i'm not sure if it's hands down better than the mini, but if you already own a mac, i think the decision is made a little easier.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Right now, I'm wishing a Zire 72, but I'm waiting for christmas , it will be a good present, hopefully Palm will bring something new in the consumer range ... I recommend it if you decide to have it today, but be aware of Palmrumors (If there is something like that) :p I'll be reading about new products ...

11. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

I would not. It's like trading a jaguar for a pinto.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Syncing with iTunes and the scroll wheel make the iPod hands-down better than the Rio (Which is admittedly a nice player) imo.

13. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

plus it looks tons better

14. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

You can sync with iTunes with the Rio also...

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Are you certain? It doesn't say so on Apple's iTunes site or Rio's site.. and Furthermore Rio's players don't seem to even be able to play AAC files (Protected or not)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Like Jxyama said, the iPod and Mini are better if you own a Mac, plain and simple. But if you own WinXP, I think that quite a few Rio players are better. They don't look as good, but for the same price, you're getting features that you wouldn't get on an iPod. The controls are also as simple to use, although I like the click wheel of the iPod a bit better because the wheel is larger.

So yeah, consider one of the better Rio players if you have a PC, but Mac owners should definitely stay with the iPod, as it works so well with iTunes, iCal, and Address Book. I have one, and it's fantastic. :)

17. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

If i get an mp3 player, the only one I'll be considering will be the ipod mini as I like the way it looks. Looks is everything to me ;)

18. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

It sure does, I actually downloaded the PDF manual for the Rio Carbon the other day, I was really curious what software it used for OS X. It just requires an iTunes plugin to work. Of course, it won't recognize AAC files... yet another reason I buy all my music on CDs so I don't run into such problems.

19. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

I've finally sold my ipaq and ordered an ipod mini from apple. apparently there is not stock anywhere, and so I'll have to wait for a month :(

thanks everyone for their precious advice :D