should i sell my ipod and buy a shuffle?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wnameth, Jan 16, 2005.

1. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

I am thinking about selling my 5GB ipod and getting a shuffle, reasons:

battery life on 5GB is 5-6 hours
    It is big
    feels as though its gonna give out and stop working soon
    head phone jack is cracked, will eventually not get stereo sound
    I only listen two maybe 35 different songs each week, then i find something else i like and listen to it for a while ect.
    A Guy at my school will give me 15o CAD for it.
    Shuffle has long battery life
    its small light
    I normally put my 5GB in my pocket and run it on random, hardly use screen.

Post your suggestions

Thanks

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sounds like you are perfect user for the 1gb Shuffle... I would say go for it, the Shuffle will have better battery life, like you mentioned, plus will probably have a longer "mean time to failure", meaning that the Shuffle will likely last longer before something breaks.

Rob

3. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

Thanks, also if anyone ordered 1 that they decided they don't want it or they happened to order 2, one for these forms or ebay, please pm me if you have one you can sell/trade

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

5. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

I can see your point, I'm also thinking about getting a Shuffle, in addition to my 3G iPod. I will get the 1 GB, because it makes carrying files around so much easier than with an iPod, where I always had to carry a cable along with the bulky iPod.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im seriously thinking of selling my 3G 15 gig ipod and getting a 1Gig shuffle

why? because i have filled my 15gig ipod, and i cant carry all the music i want with me as it is, so why not just pick up something smaller, more lightweight and that might last longer and just carry around what i feel like listening to

my only problem with this right now is that my PB only has USB 1.1, which means the transfer would be slow, im wondering though, since i do have an external harddrive that i boot from right now, which has USB 2.0 if i can that that transfer speed with the shuffle....

just me randomly thinking aloud here....

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm assuming that you plug the HD into a firewire port? Otherwise it is running at USB1.1 speeds, despite being USB2.0 capable.

USB devices come in 2 types, Masters and Slaves. Harddrives, mice, iPods, etc are all Slave devices. Computers, mainly, are the only Masters (there are some exceptions to that). A Slave device can only connect to a Mster device, two slaves sannot conenct to one another. So your iPod couln't connect directly to you HD, they would have to go through your Macs USB 1.1 hosy, dropping the speeds down to the 1.1 level.

That said, 1.1 usb speeds for only a gig aren't really that bad. I use my 1gb usb flash drive on USB1.1 machines all the time and it doesn't take that long to fill it up.

Rob

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What about USB hubs? Are those masters?
    I only thought that master/slave stuff was with ATA drives, so long as you weren't in L.A. :)

9. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Even a 512Mb would be okay, for 35 songs a week!

If your ipod is going to break anytime soon, you might as well sell it, before it goes in the rubbish bin.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

A hub just splits the port up for many devices. It's neither a master or a slave, just splitter/extender of the connection. USB actually has a speed limit for each channel, so all the devices you have pluged into a single hub share bandwidth.

Rob