Should I sell PowerMac G5 for New Imac??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mocman, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. mocman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    #1
    I made the change a few years ago and have been quite pleased with the Powermac dual 1.8. I also have a powerbook and ibook as well.
    I hear that alot of people are getting rid of the powermacs and getting the new intel iMac. They say the speed is better than their own powermacs.
    Just want to know if anyone has any sugestions on the move.. Thanks
     
  2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #2
    :eek:

    pro's

    it would be slightly faster,
    have more of a future
    some nice features

    cons
    cost something to upgrade
    the imac is white, the powermac is a shiny, cool alluminium.
     
  3. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    #3
    ummmmm.....The reason I asked is so that I would not be late on putting the Powermac on Ebay ASAP.......
     
  4. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

    Ryan T.

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2005
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #4
    If the PowerMac is an appropriate speed for you, then I'd say sure, do the swap. If you want something really faster, wait for the intel powermacs to come out later this year. of course, the value of your system drops at this point.
     
  5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #5
    It depends how long you want to wait as well. I know Jobs indicated all Macs would be Intel by the end of 2006, but I still have my doubts and think that could slip into January 2007 due to the current timelines surrounding Conroe and Woodcrest. Regardless, if you play the waiting game, you might be waiting a year.

    As for the Intel iMacs themselves, some say the top end one actually outperforms the dual core PPC 2.0 GHz G5 PowerMac on certain tasks, so it woudl definitely be faster than the 1.8 GHz model.
     
  6. aloofman macrumors 68020

    aloofman

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2002
    Location:
    Socal
    #6
    I personally wouldn't make that trade, but then I'm not one to buy and sell computers very often. The tower can last you quite a while, and it's not something I would do just because a new Mac came out. But it kind of sounds like you've already made up your mind.
     
  7. barrettd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Location:
    Oklahoma City
    #7
    I was contemplating this, too, but I think I'm going to wait. At least until the Adobe and Final Cut stuff is all native in the Intel machines, since those programs were part of my reason for buying the DP1.8 in the first place. What I'll probably end up doing is keeping my G5 and just buying the iMac when I can afford to.
     
  8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #8
    Actualy yes, that's a very good point then - if you are using those Pro apps a fair bit, you should definitely wait until they are natively supported. Your 1.8 will do you just fine in the meantime.
     
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #9
    I say wait for the new "Power" (or whatever they end up being called) Macs to arrive. The new iMacs are quite impressive, but just think how much more impressive the new Power Macs end up being (e.g., dual dual-core conroe processors!).
     
  10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

    BakedBeans

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    Location:
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    #10
    im with him

    the powermac will do you untill then - the top end intel powermacs will be insanely fast (judging from the new imacs)
     
  11. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    #11
    I want to wait but on the other hand I want to get enough out of my powermac to compinsate for my new intel. I do alot of video and audio editing and of course use alot of the pro apps. It serves as my work computer also and I am on it alot and has served well over the last 2 years.
    I guess my main concern is to sell the Powermac Dual 1.8 at the right time...
     
  12. YS2003 macrumors 68020

    YS2003

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location:
    Finally I have arrived.....
    #12
  13. Spinnetti macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    Location:
    Kentucky
    #13
    Well, unless you only use currently native apps, you are going to end up slower for sure.

    I'm typing this on a 20" G5 2.0/1gig iMac, and just got the same in intel flavor - can't say as it really seems much faster. I generally just use the built in stuff, so it will be a bit faster for me.. I'll try some timing of varioius stuff over the next couple days before I ship off my G5 to its new owner.
     
  14. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    #14
    Thanks for the benchmarks above. I have alot of pro apps on here and really do not want to fork out $49.00 per app in march. If the benchmarks are not that great I think I will just boost my ram up to 2.5 gig and that should be suffice for now............Plenty fast now but always want to stay current....
     

Share This Page