Should I Sell Registered Software?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sleez, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Sleez macrumors newbie

Should I sell my (Registered) Roxio Toast Titanium 5.0 on eBay? I just bought it on eBay a few weeks ago, but it's not that great for DVDs so I want to sell it. I had to register it to download the upgrade (5.2.1). Would some one who buys this same Program be able to register it if they want, even though I have done so already? It was used when I bought it, and I don't know if anyone had registered it before me.
    Your thoughts, please...

2. advres Guest

advres

BE CAREFUL!!!! - i tried to sell a powerbook with software installed and almost got kicked off ebay - they dont take kindly to illegal sales.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

no no, I think he's saying he would sell legal software. He's just asking if the new owner would be able to re-register the software in their own name. And I'm not sure, sorry.

4. advres Guest

advres

if one person has registered the software - what is saying he doesnt still have it installed on his system at sell time. I dont think two different people should try to register the same software with the same serial - just asking for trouble - its probably not worth the money you would recieve for it.

5. PaisanoMan macrumors member

6. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

You could always just give the person you are selling to, the username/password for the registration, then they could probably change it to their info.

I am not sure of the details, but you are allowed by law to sell software as long as you delete it from your computer...don't let Roxio or anyone else tell you differently.

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    you own a locense to use that software. you are in your legal rights to transfer that license to another party.

but, once you transfer that license, you no longer may legally run the software in your computer.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

This is exactly right. They cannot deny you a change of registration information, because registration is essential to updates as specified in the license. be firm with them if you need to. the law's on your side.

ebay may still not allow it on their site, because on the surface it appears questionable and they reserve the right to end any auction whenever they want. fun.

pnw