should I shut off wireless kbd/mouse when not using?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by furrina, Jun 20, 2004.

1. furrina macrumors regular

I just got the apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse which I use with my pb/display. Should I shut them "off" with the switch when I'm not going to be using them, like at night, to avoid running out the batteries?

Also, I might as well ask, I almost never shut down my PB (or any computer for that matter) when I'm done using it, I just close the lid or leave it and let it go to sleep. Keep in mind I use it often. Is there any harm in doing this?

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have the apple bt mouse and i tend to turn it off every night. i dont think you have to as apparantly it has some power saving programme, but i suppose if it is off it cant use any power can it!

with regards to the pb and just shutting the lid, i have done that every night for nearly a year and its still running well!

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I leave my BT keyboard on 24/7 (laziness and forgetfulness are the chief reasons), and even so I get over six months of use out of the batteries. I'm not sure how much fastidiously turning it off would add to that (years? a week and a half? I don't know).