Should I switch now? I need your help.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gabyj7, Aug 14, 2002.

1. gabyj7 macrumors newbie

What's up!
    Well, let me tell you a bit about my plan. I own a project recording studio and one of my ADATs (Multritrack Recorder) needs repair. Since there old and outdated I decided not to have it repaired. I looked into the new HD24 recorders by Alesis, Mackie and Tascam but I think DAW (Desktop Audio Workstation)is the way to go. I am waiting for the upcoming Digidesign 002 Firewire ProTools to be ship by Sept. 2002.
    I am very confused on which platform to buy, PC or the Mac. I got familiar with the Mac OS up to 8.6 from the original iMac back in 1998 and I'm ready to buy. Which platform and what model would you recomend? Do I need 1.25mHz? What will be Ideal? Thanks in advance, Gabe.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Obviosly, I'd choose Mac, but that's somewhat a different issue that I'm not completely involved in, I'm sure other forum members can comment on that, but personally, I'd wait until MWSF or maybe a little after, when the rumored G5s with the IBM chip come out, but if you must have one now, I don't thing you need 1.25 Ghz for a recording studio. With Jaguar, even the low-end dual 867 should work just fine. If you were doing a lot of photo and video editing, I'd have to recommend something a bit more powerful, but for producing music, the max you probably need is the dual 1Ghz if you have the money. Again I must say wait until MWSF if you can. The IBM chip will hopefully perform a lot better than the current G4 since it can fully take advantage of the DDR memory, among other things.
    Hope this helps.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would choose Macintosh but you may have to wait.

Macintosh audio software developers are working to get their products working with Mac OS X, especially Jaguar (version 10.2). It may be a little while before all of the products you need are available.

That said, the new audio capabilities included will be well worth the wait. Apple have re-thought all of the audio and it's as close to a pure hardware solution as could be done with a general purpose computer right now.

You should see the audio products line up starting in the next couple of months. :)