should i switch providers?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chibianh, Feb 9, 2003.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Hey all, I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes.

This forum has saved me many times in the past and I once again call upon its guidance.

Quick and straight to the point... my current dsl service is 640/256. I'm getting roughly 500/180 on average. Earthlink advertises 1500/128 for same price I'm paying now. However, I'm concerned about whether switching will make any difference because I'm not even hitting my cap now. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Anh

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I don't think it is possible to hit your cap.

First noise, just noise can slow a connection.

Second: Your powerbook should be able to handle that speeds.

3ed: Inless the provider is right next to you sitting right --->
    It is not gonna be max.

But Earthlink is probably better with the a much better speed and same price, I heard they are great.

Inless someone brings up a point I didn't go for it.

(BTW, if your running Airport it is gonna be slowed from everything, upgrading will help only a little.)

3. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

EarthLink is a good provider to deal with. They're really helpful. As far as hitting your cap, I wouldn't expect it often. There are a number of factors that influence that. Still, the EarthLink should be faster in downloading, but not uploading.

4. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

line speed

The problem is... if you switch providers... it will probably sill be the same lines and back bones that you will use with the new provider. I would call them out and tell them to fix it now. I have cable my self and I get 2000/380 almost every time I test my line. The people I know that live in my area that have DSL only get a fraction off that.

I would go to DSLreports.com and look other peoples speeds in your area. It all depends on how close you are to a hub.

While going with providers like Earthlink is better becuase of their reputation for good service... you cant contole the lines that are going to your house.