Should I take my battery out when I study for long period?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by virilep, Dec 28, 2006.

1. virilep macrumors member

Aug 22, 2006
    Hi guys and gals,

I spend about 8-10 hours a day studying and I usually have my computer with me for reference and looking at powerpoints etc. One of my buddies... has a toshiba and he takes his battery out when we study together. I was wonderin if that's a good idea with macbooks? It might help with heat issues and maybe battery conservation. Anyone have any ideas? I did a search through the thread but couldn't find anything. Thanks so much.
  2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    I am assuming you mean while the computer is plugged in for long periods of time? Apple notebooks are designed to cycle the power on and off to avoid overcharging. I would leave it in since there would be little benefit to removing it. Also any bump to the magnetic power cord would kill the power, which could cause damage depending upon what the HD is doing.
  3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    sorry my friend it will not help with heat issue nor will it help in battery cycle. plus it leaves the wireless card and battery area totally exposed. good thinking, but it wouldn't likely help in either dept.
  4. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2006
    The Emerald Isle
    Yeah, I too would recommend that you leave the battery in.

Dave :)
  5. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Not necessary. What if there was a power cut? You might lose work, it's not good for the hard drive if it lost power while the computer was reading/writing to it. The battery is a good backup if the power fails. Keep 'er in. :)
  6. Pct1theory macrumors member

Dec 24, 2006
    he has a good point ^^^^