Should I trade my fully loaded 15" rev'C for a stock powermac 2.5ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 1nsanity, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 1nsanity macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2005

Well first let me explain the situation.
    I am part of a coop program at my university and this fall I will be attending my second work term. The company I will work for will provide me with a brand new laptop. Ok it will be pc but who cares comes with the job.

What I want to to is trade my powerbook:

• 2GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    • 4x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 w/128MB VRAM
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook (w/ or w/o Display)(until October 16th 2007)
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    • Bluetooth Apple Keyboard and mouse
    • Marware case Neoprene with pockets

For a stock used G5 powermac dual 2.5ghz:

- Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processor
    - 1.25GHz frontside bus/processor
    - 512MB DDR400 SDRAM
    - 160GB Serial ATA
    - 8x SuperDrive
    - Three PCI Slots
    - ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    - 128MB DDR video memory
    - 56K internal modem

Both macs are used and the powermac would be traded with an individual, not a store.

I was wondering if you guys thing it was a good deal. Also how much should I pay extra or should he pay extra? I am really bad with the value of Apple computers.

Any thoughts will be gladly accepted!!

thank you!

P-S: I My work term might be 8 months and if its only 4 months I'll be considering a new mac portable for January.
  2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    If you need the processing power then go for it. It seems like a fair trade to me... just be sure to upgrade the memory on the powermac :)
  3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    it all depends on if you want portability, or if you are ok with having the computer in one place (and have lots of POWER). It's a fair trade, I would trade for the powermac.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    If you have the need for a desktop, it sounds like a real sweet deal. Hopefully you will be eligible to purchase AppleCare. Also think that you should upgrade memory if affordable go for 1 GB of RAM. The increase in performance will be noticeable.
  5. DesignIt macrumors member

Aug 2, 2005
  6. 1nsanity thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2005
    Well I was more hinking of a trade since its my only computer. But to actually sell it I would think around 2800-2900$ canadian which is roughly 2300-2400US$.

AFter further discussion with trading the 2.5 powermac the individual thinks that I should offer him a s***load of extra $ for his dual 2.5ghz. Too bad since Apple sells them refurb at 2300$ (and too bad only us citizen can buy refurbs from the apple store).

I tried to make him understand that for the price he asks I could get a brand new 2.3ghz with 2 gig of ram extra. Anyway I'll just wait and see what happens. Worse case scenario I'll keep the powerbook and get myself a dell 24" until my xbox 360 arrives!

Anybody knows a good arm for holding a dell 24" lcd monitor ? thx
  7. DesignIt macrumors member

Aug 2, 2005
    Yeah, you're right, I can get a refurb for less than that.