Should I trade my fully loaded 15" rev'C for a stock powermac 2.5ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 1nsanity, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 1nsanity macrumors regular

Hello

Well first let me explain the situation.
    I am part of a coop program at my university and this fall I will be attending my second work term. The company I will work for will provide me with a brand new laptop. Ok it will be pc but who cares comes with the job.

What I want to to is trade my powerbook:

• 2GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    • 4x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 w/128MB VRAM
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook (w/ or w/o Display)(until October 16th 2007)
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    • Bluetooth Apple Keyboard and mouse
    • Marware case Neoprene with pockets

For a stock used G5 powermac dual 2.5ghz:

- Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processor
    - 1.25GHz frontside bus/processor
    - 512MB DDR400 SDRAM
    - 160GB Serial ATA
    - 8x SuperDrive
    - Three PCI Slots
    - ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    - 128MB DDR video memory
    - 56K internal modem

Both macs are used and the powermac would be traded with an individual, not a store.

I was wondering if you guys thing it was a good deal. Also how much should I pay extra or should he pay extra? I am really bad with the value of Apple computers.

Any thoughts will be gladly accepted!!

thank you!

P-S: I My work term might be 8 months and if its only 4 months I'll be considering a new mac portable for January.

2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If you need the processing power then go for it. It seems like a fair trade to me... just be sure to upgrade the memory on the powermac :)

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

it all depends on if you want portability, or if you are ok with having the computer in one place (and have lots of POWER). It's a fair trade, I would trade for the powermac.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If you have the need for a desktop, it sounds like a real sweet deal. Hopefully you will be eligible to purchase AppleCare. Also think that you should upgrade memory if affordable go for 1 GB of RAM. The increase in performance will be noticeable.

5. DesignIt macrumors member

6. 1nsanity thread starter macrumors regular

Well I was more hinking of a trade since its my only computer. But to actually sell it I would think around 2800-2900$ canadian which is roughly 2300-2400US$.

AFter further discussion with trading the 2.5 powermac the individual thinks that I should offer him a s***load of extra $ for his dual 2.5ghz. Too bad since Apple sells them refurb at 2300$ (and too bad only us citizen can buy refurbs from the apple store).

I tried to make him understand that for the price he asks I could get a brand new 2.3ghz with 2 gig of ram extra. Anyway I'll just wait and see what happens. Worse case scenario I'll keep the powerbook and get myself a dell 24" until my xbox 360 arrives!

Anybody knows a good arm for holding a dell 24" lcd monitor ? thx

7. DesignIt macrumors member

Yeah, you're right, I can get a refurb for less than that.