Should I trade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Smallville, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Smallville macrumors regular

Six months after buying a 1.8GHz G5 iMac w/ SuperDrive, I'm wondering if I should trade.

My local Mac store will do trades for other computers or put the value towards a new computer purchase, so it's on my mind.

I was wanting an iBook 12" or 14" w/ ComboDrive but my wife talked me into the iMac because she wanted to use it as well.

She uses it for e-mail maybe once every week and that's it.

The iMac is great for my Web design work, but I'm getting out of that soon. Right now, I'm just using it to get online, check e-mail, use Quicken for bills, etc. It's just more computer than I need right now, plus I hate that I can't carry it around with me through the house and on trips.

So, I'm wondering if a trade would be worth it. I'm not sure how much I could get for it, but I paid $1800 after tax and Apple Care.

I'd like to get a laptop for around $1100 and if I get more for the trade, I'll just buy a full-size keyboard for it and maybe a few other extras.

Specs: 1.8GHz G5 17" SuperDrive 512MB 10.3.8

Specs of the laptop I'd like: 1.2-1.33GHz G4 iBook 12" or 14" ComboDrive 512MB 10.4 (even if I have to buy it later)

What do you guys think?

2. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

If you're going to be happier with the ibook, then trade for the ibook :)

allison.

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It sounds like you pretty much already made up your mind about getting a laptop. I wouldn't buy a 12 inch monitor, or a 14 with the same resolution. A discounted Powerbook would be good for you either a 12 or a 15. I've found that the keyboards and screens are much better.

4. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Yeah, if you want the portibility, go for the trade. Have you consider a Powerbook instead of an iBook as suggested by macbaseball? They are more powerful but cost a lot more, too.

Let us know what you decide.

5. Smallville thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I wouldn't say my mind is made up yet. It depends on what kind of price the Mac store people give me.

I'm thinking of the iBook over the PowerBook because I don't really have a huge need for a powerful computer anymore. I have different needs now. Six months ago, I was a full-time newspaper designer and part-time Web designer. I needed more power, more drive, more screen size.

Now, I'm a part-time newspaper designer, part-time sports reporter, and I've dropped Web design entirely. I could get away with a word processor and Web browser right now as my only software.

I could use the portability of a laptop to take around when I'm working on stories and traveling (as the company is bare bones about hardware and software), but it's not an absolute necessity.

If another writer left and I got his job, I'd be a full-time writer and probably would want a laptop, as he uses it at least twice a week.

Thanks for the input.

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I suggested the Powerbook, because of the higher resolution of the screen. The added power is just a bonus for you.

7. hogman macrumors member

hogman

I have the power book and even thow its a bit more expensive i relly love it. And alot of people i know have the ibook and say they wish they had goten the powerbok. actualy there both very solid comps and you realy cant go wrong eather way :D