Should I try to enable OBEX on Verizon mobile?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by discoforce, Feb 20, 2006.

1. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

I'm hoping that title is specific enough :rolleyes:

I'm looking for all you mac users who have successfully (or not so successfully) enabled OBEX (file transfer) on their Verizon mobiles. I just purchased the Moto e815 primarily because I've read posts of folks successfully completing seem edits to enable OBEX.

The instructions I've read on howardforums are daunting for the non-hack-knowledgable and appear pretty dated (July 2005).

Has anyone been able to do this? And if so, can anyone point me to the clearest (and most current) instructions? Will I still be able to use isync for synchronizing my address book?

Thanks!

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you are asking about transferring files over Bluetooth, then yes it does work, assumming that you have the appropriate software set-up correctly, and a compatible phone (carrier doesnt matter)

As for syncing, lookie here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

this is the list of compatible phones, but if yours is close to one of those listed, just try it anyways :)

3. discoforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Thanks, but unfortunately it does matter what carrier you have because Verizon purposely disables bluetooth file transfers with their phone even if they when they have the capability. See here or here.

The only fix I've found for this is to hack the phone using a USB cable and a PC (can't do it through a mac). :mad:

I'm trying to find mac users who have successfully done this to see if they can offer any pointers.

Thanks for this as well. Yup, I've currently got my e815 syncing happily with my Address book and iCal through iSync over bluetooth - but I was worried that if I hacked the phone this capability wouldn't work anymore.

So has anyone done this? :confused: