Should I update my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by juan370Z, Jul 15, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Ok so obviously the. Update i's out I want to jb my iPhone. But I don't know if updating i's going to compromise my future jb any toughts?

2. macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Here's a link for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Search

3. macrumors 6502a

medicscott

if you wanna unlock your phone, dont update

if you just wanna jb your device, back up your shsh blobs using tinyumbrella, then its safe to upgrade, according to @comex

4. macrumors 603

thelatinist

There is no reason to upgrade at this point, and MuscleNerd has recommended against it. I would hold off for now.

You do realize that this update is just a placebo, right? It will have no effect on how well your phone actually works, just on how many bars you see.

5. macrumors G4

dhlizard

@comex has rescinded that tweet

6. macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

7. macrumors 68000

Arisian

By no means am I disagreeing with you - however the dev team actually seems to be split on this subject, which is interesting.

... that literally coming RIGHT AFTER he retweeted what comex said:

and the last thing MuscleNerd said, though being pretty silent on the issue is :

Seems like people would be ok if they update to 4.0.1 (w/ 4.0 shsh on file) but the Dev Team seems split on the subject - I would also assume that comex would know best since he's working on the JB - but there seems to be no point to the upgrade other than the signal bar gfx and formula changes

Again, sorry for another 'useless' comment :D

8. macrumors 603

thelatinist

What the hell is everyone's hurry? This is a completely useless update, and waiting a day or two will give much more clarity about what it contains and whether it is a good idea to upgrade. Just hold your horses.

9. macrumors regular

+1 thank god. I thought I was the only one left on the board with a brain.

10. macrumors G4

dhlizard

There are many of us who understand this.

Most of the "can't wait" crowd are the young, new to jailbreaking group who have never waited for anything in their life.

Let them do it. There is already a thread here on how to downgrade back to 4.0, why am I not surprised.

11. macrumors regular

narimonk

Take it from an Apple tech, this update is a BAD IDEA. It wasn't thoroughly tested, hell it barely recieved any testing. Has caused 3 confirmed cases of unfixable bricking (at my store), and solves nothing. just STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM IT AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE!!

12. macrumors 603

thelatinist

It is not possible to brick an iPhone by updating the firmware. Barring hardware failure, it is always possible to put the phone in DFU mode and restore to the latest firmware. Period.

13. macrumors regular

narimonk

I should have eluded to my point properly, please excuse me. My theory as to these cases of bricking, was that some bug in the software caused hardware failure, it was the only explanation the other techs and I could come to.

14. macrumors 603

thelatinist

Total BS. If the phone could not be put in DFU mode, it had a preexisting hardware failure that had nothing to do with 4.0.1. Nothing in 4.0.1 could possibly cause that kind of hardware failure. Please stop spreading this nonsense.