should I update to 10.4.8?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vega07, Nov 25, 2006.

  1. vega07 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #1
    After having read so many posts on the negatives of 10.4.8., I decided to not install it.

    Should I just wait for the next patch or should I just swallow and install?
     
  2. wildmac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2003
    #2
    I'm having no problems, on any of the 12 machines I've put it on sofar. Most problems that people have are due to pre-existing issues that then blow up when a system update is applied. Do your maintenance first, and then the update.
     
  3. heehee macrumors 68020

    heehee

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Location:
    Same country as Santa Claus
    #3
    I don't have any problems with it. In both PPC and Intel.
     
  4. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #4
    what is the maintenance for mac before an update?

    I'm new to macs.
     
  5. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #5
    No problems here. If you're running an intelitosh then you're missing out as rosetta has been majorly tweaked.
     
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #6
    I don't even bother with maintenance when I upgraded my machines, but I guess repairing permissions can't hurt. :)
     
  7. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
  8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

    YS2003

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location:
    Finally I have arrived.....
    #8
    Go for it. I know you want to. :)
    No problem with all of my 3 Macs.
     
  9. jellomizer macrumors 6502

    jellomizer

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    #9
    I wouldn't go crazy about complants on this site. Or take them seriously most of the time. Read the replies and see what is unique about there case. A system with a 3rd party replacement part, Running many Beta versions of different application.

    Also there is a degree of Apple Zeal where they expect more from Apple then they are willing to deliver. Stuff like expecting a major breakthrew every keynote, The Bleading edge of technology every realease (when they only receave leading edge.)

    I wouldn't worry much about waiting for the upgrade. For most people they are better off with it then without it.
     
  10. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

    Grakkle

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    Location:
    Earth
    #10
    No problems at all with 10.4.8 for me.

    Yeah, same as mj here: I don't do anything.
     
  11. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #11
    alright! here I go!

    if anything happens...I'm blaming all of you guys. :p

    actually...

    I'm having second thoughts.
     
  12. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Location:
    San Jose
    #12
    i thought the same thing when i got my MBP but i havent had any problems. :D
     
  13. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #13
    i always live by the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

    my macbook is running flawlessly right now.

    I've decided not to do it, because I'm in college and cannot afford any time to fix my macbook, just in case anything happens.
     
  14. rstorm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI
    #14
    10.4.8 works flawlessly for me. I always repair permissions before and after an update.
     
  15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

    dpaanlka

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2004
    Location:
    Illinois
    #15
    All the negative posts about anything usually represent 5% of the actual number of people who have installed/bought/updated whatever the negative posts are about without any problems.
     
  16. SMM macrumors 65816

    SMM

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location:
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    #16
    What negative posts? I am starting to get scared. I install these updates as they come out. I do not have any problems. Is something bad going to happen to me?
     
  17. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #17
    I read some problems regarding airport issues, higher temp readings, and sleeping issues.

    but don't worry about it if you see no problems!
     
  18. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #18
    personally, i install every update ASAP. they're put out to fix bugs and increase performance, so not updating could cause your macbook problems.

    plus, i've installed 10.4.8 on several Macs and none of them have problems. this is the first i've heard of any 10.4.8 issues... the increased rosetta speed is nice, too~
     
  19. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #19
    how much faster is the updated rosetta?
     
  20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #20
    Quite a bit...
     

Share This Page