Should I update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dominicanyor, Mar 9, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Should I update my iPod with the new iOS? If I do update what difference a my going to see?

2. macrumors 6502a

You left out some important information...
    What OS is your iPod currently on, and are you satisfied with how it currently performs and with its features?

3. macrumors 6502a

That's an easy one: nope . . . & none.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I'm still under iOS 5.1 it's just lagging a lot now.

5. macrumors regular

I would not recommend updating to iOS 6, espesically on an iPod touch. I recently downgraded mine back to 5.1.1.

One of my biggest issues with iOS 6 is that the operating system takes up almost all of the RAM, leaving a very small amount for apps. Multitasking is almost impossible on the iPod touch 4th gen running iOS 6.

There are some changes to the UI, changes for the worse IMO. Everything lost its gloss and polish.

The new maps are a failure, passbook does pretty much nothing.

If you update, save your shsh blobs first so you can downgrade.

6. macrumors 6502a

My advice to you then would be to save your SHSH blobs using a program called iFaith. Quick google search will lead you to the program.

Then, restore to 5.1 using those blobs you saved with iFaith, and set up your ipod as new. Then, manually restore your apps, music, data, etc. back to the device.

7. macrumors regular

iOS 5.1 or 5.1.1? The reason I ask is because 5.1 is quite smooth while 5.1.1 crashes Safari alot- thus having to refresh all background apps. Besides that 5.1.1 is mostly fine.

If on 5.1 I would stay on that OS forever on touch 4g as that performs the best compared to later versions. Also you can restore your iPod touch and set up as new if you want-make sure to backup everything.

Don't go on iTunes and click restore as that will leave you with iOS 6.1.2 firmware. Instead go to Settings-General-Reset-Erase All Content and Settings

This will keep it to whatever version you are on. A video here:

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Thanks for the information.