should i upgrade firmware for my pioneer superdrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tonywalker23, Aug 6, 2006.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

i have a dual 450 g4 gigabt ethernet powermac. last summer i bought a superdrive for it, a pioneer 109. it has firmware 1.4 on it.

on the pioneer website the latest firmware for this one is 1.57 but when i downloaded the update it was only avaliabel as a windows exe.

i have a pc i can use, should i remove the drive, put it in the pc, update, and put back in the mac? i dont if it would benifit any but i do have problems with errors while trying to make cds and dvds, usually about 50% it will burn right and the other half it will mess up.

thanks!

2. quadgirl macrumors regular

I'm not sure if upgrading the firmware will help you burn error free discs. Have you tried using different media? What burning software are you using? Maybe try another app or update the app you are using if it's an old one.

Usually flashing the firmware removes the Apple shipped/supported benefits (bootable, iDVD, Itunes, etc) but it seems like your 109 is oem and not an Apple product, so why not give it a go. And if you are using Tiger with iLife 06, there's no problem using oem optical drives with PC firmware.

As you have a pc, it's a 5 minutes job to put it in your PC and give it a go. It certainly isn't going to make your drive any worse.