Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marf1million

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
An Mhí
Hello all.

I have a 2011 17inch macbook pro with 16GB of memory running happily on snow leopard. I'm installing a new hard drive this week and am planning on doing a fresh install of the OS while I'm at it. I was planning on re-installing SL from the disc, but now I'm considering upgrading to Mountain Lion.

Would you recommend it? I'm not using SL to run any PPC apps or anything that I must be using SL for, but I also don't think I need any of the ML features like facebook or twitter integration or launch pad (I'm not sure of 99% of the benefits to be honest).

I have an Ipad4 and iphone 3gs so perhaps I might see an advantage of using Icloud, but I'm not too sure.

Basically, my question is; Will ML have a negative impact on the performance of my macbook over SL? and if so, will the advantages of ML (whatever they may be) be worth it?

Thanks.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Mavericks is coming out in a few months, if you're going upgrade from SL you might as well wait for that

marf1million

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
An Mhí
Mavericks is coming out in a few months, if you're going upgrade from SL you might as well wait for that

Wait for Mavericks ;)

Well, the way I look at it is that at this stage Mountain Lion is a mature OS, and I'd rather not jump in at a .0 release. I've no idea how good or bad Mavericks will run, but there are people that know how good or bad ML is compared to SL.

Plus I need my hard drive this week, so I can't to wait around.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
People are mostly describing Mavericks as the "Snow Leopard" to "Leopard". It's based a lot more on efficiency and speed with loads of refinements to Mountain Lion.

If you can't afford to wait then by all means change to Mountain Lion, but I'm expecting good things out of Mavericks.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Well, the way I look at it is that at this stage Mountain Lion is a mature OS, and I'd rather not jump in at a .0 release. I've no idea how good or bad Mavericks will run, but there are people that know how good or bad ML is compared to SL.

Plus I need my hard drive this week, so I can't to wait around.

Mavericks as it is now is almost as good as ML in terms of stability. And it already is faster. Just wait.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Stick with snow leopard. 10.6.8 is the most stable OS Apple has ever produced, IMHO

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Stay with SL, unless you need to upgrade coz a specific...

I just got MacMini (late 2012 model) and it came with ML installed, its inefficient compare to SL... i wish i could stay with SL, but i had to upgrade to MM coz of the extra power for my studio work :\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.