Should I Upgrade My G5 PPC To A Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DC LONDON, Sep 18, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2007
    I have a 2.0ghz Dual Core PPC with 4.5GB SDRAM. It suits me fine for everything I am currently using it for; Audio and Graphic Design. But with the release of the Mac Pro and the upcoming Leopard I am wondering whether to upgrade or not while my G5 still has value in it. I wouldn't say I 'need' to upgrade at the minute but the longer I wait to upgrade to Intel the less my machine will be worth to sell on and the more I will have to pay to upgrade. How long will Apple support my type of machine? I cant imagine the base model Mac Pro (what I could realistically afford) being 'much' faster than what I am currently using but I want to keep up to date with new releases of programs in the future that I use, Adobe, Logic etc

On one hand I think sell while the G5 still has value, on the other I think I would only be upgrading for the sake of it and when the time comes to upgrade for 'speeds sake', I would just have to upgrade the Intel I bought anyway! Any advice would be warmly received!

2. macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2006
    Same upgrade (or not) situation here...

I have a G5 Quad (with 30" ADC) and was thinking about the same thing, even considering the 24" iMac as an "upgrade". I think we will stick with what we got (also an older Mini with 20" ACD). I was checking ebay and there were a few machines like mine, but none were getting any bids!
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2007
    I've seen a lot of G5 Quad's on EBAY selling.

However they are heavily upgraded: 5GB + RAM, 500GB + HDD, etc and they sell for a fairly nice price.

Although at the moment they don't seem to be selling.

A month ago I saw a Quad go from $1200 to $2600 in the last hour of bidding.

4. macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2007
    Sell it now if you want any value. When the next Mac Pro revision comes out there will be a lot of current gen Mac Pro on ebay going for pretty cheap. Once current gen MP becomes next gen and cheap on ebay G5's will go down even further.