Should I upgrade to 10.4.9? (Being skeptical)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPowers, Mar 25, 2007.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

Software Update had the option to tell me to upgrade to 10.4.9 instead of 10.4.8.

My mom did it and it says it is slow, then again, my moms is an ibook.

I on the other hand have an intel iMac. Should I do it or shouldn't I? If so or if not, why?

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

It was fine on my MacBook CD. No slowdowns or anything. Havent noticed any difference.

3. danielem macrumors newbie

danielem

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Same here (except now there is no accidental ejecting...)

5. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It actually sped up my MBP a little. Deffo upgrade...

7. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

If you like your imac speakers to be twice as loud and render VLC player volume control useless, then sure :p

8. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

It was fine for me, but make sure you turn the volume down after the upgrade. :)

9. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Suurrreee! Why not!
    Everyone else is doing' it! Give in to the peer-pressure!!

Seriously though... the volume does get louder.. and i don't know about VLC or whatever.. but uh..most people were happy ( or so i've personally read) about the volume thing.

Ang

10. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I like the louder volume now, but sometimes I really want to easily (as in with one button on my keyboard, not using a mouse :p) make the volume quieter than the 10.4.9 lowest bar volume.

11. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I can understand that... I guess mean old Apple, Inc wants you to buy Leopard! Cause everything's NEW in Leopard! LOL

:p

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you're so worried about the 10.4.9 update and were planning to update to leopard soon anyway (supposing leopard does come out soon), maybe it might be a good idea to wait. 10.4.9 installed fine on my macbook, but i wasn't aware of the eject key delay. had i known, i would have stuck with 10.4.8.

13. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

Apart from the well-touted and welcome increase in volume on my MBP, I've noticed no difference at all since upgrading to 10.4.9. Roll on Leopard! :)

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just did and so far so good, but I don't notice the sound thing.

15. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Actually, we don't know anything about Leopard now - and I suspect it's going to have problems at the beginning, minor perhaps but problems. Remember Tiger. So the update might be a good idea, people (including myself - on a ppc machine) seem to be happy about it.

16. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

go ahead and do it, but please check what software you have, some 3rd party software , particulary audio unit plugins that may work on garageband, and Logic in particular, may not work correctly or not at all , and need updating. Other than that, I know of no issues.

FIY:
    Apple updates, are not nearly as bad as Vista , my friend has a brand new HP 2200 notebook (with a Turion 64 cpu), that came preinstalled with Windows Vista home edition, and while it looks refreshing, compared to XP, it is soo much worse in stability , it just crashes for no reason, and sometimes takes 3 to 4 attempts to start up, failing with different reasons etc. Some other person I know that also has a HP notebook with Vista, looses his network settings everytime he starts up, so always leaves it in sleep mode to prevent that.

These are the kind of bugs that Apple will not afford itself, not even at the release of Leopard. No doubt there will be a few smaller problems, but nothing that renders your computer near useless, and downright frustrating to work with. (Both these friends are in the process of downgrading to XP, I told them to buy a Mac .....)

17. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

the volume getting louder is perfect for low files, and a lot of stuff sounds really cool!

I am thinking of not doing it until all my stuff can do it. Many of my programs could be more glitchy than before, like vlc, which is already glitchy as hell now.

Not worth the chance.

18. andrewag macrumors 6502

I have not had problems on my:
    PowerMac G5
    Xserve G5
    "Quicksilver" G4
    20 Core2 duo iMac's
    25 G5 iMac's

Go on, do it!!!

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's a wise update. the only thing you will notice (which will be nice of a portable) is the eject key will now have to be held down for a second.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

21. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I have a C2D MB and it works fine. No problems. Well... remember that you have to hold in the eject button for a second or two for it work. A nice feature, but if you don't know you might think there is something wrong like I did and then you'll run to macrumors and make a thread asking for help with your poor eject button. Then you just look like a stupid noob because you didn't even bother to read the release notes for 10.4.9.

The Stig

22. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

I would. Everything's peachy over here!!

-=|Mgkwho

23. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I use a iBook most the time, and haven't noticed a speed change