Should I Upgrade to Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SamIchi, Sep 8, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I read a little about it, and I don't think I can make a judgement until I actually try it. I got a G4 eMac 1.25GHz. I use my Mac mostly for iLife and Photoshop. I'm happy with my Panther, but Tiger might be a hell lot better. I remember sayin' to myself I'm happy w/ my Windows 2000 then, I used XP, and I was like :eek: , it's sooo much better. I dunno if I should be talkin about windows :rolleyes: . Well anyways, I wanna know what you guys think.

2. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Made my 800 MHz G4 feel a good clip faster. And I love spotlight. It replaces Favorites folders, aliases, even the Dock at times due to the sheer speed and accuracy in its search.

3. yenko macrumors 6502a

No Fear; as long as you haven't "weirded" anything on your eMac. Make sure you have all the updates current even after you upgrade to Tiger. :cool:

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Umm I don't know what you mean by wierded, and I think I have all the current updates. I'm not worried about upgrading I was just seeing if it's worth my money.

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

:eek: Shoulda used the word "Hacked" instead.

It's "mo-better" than 10.2.xx and faster, IMHO!!
    I've had no issues at all on all 4 of my machines from G3 to G5 and they're all faster and reliable. :cool:

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm pretty sure I didn't "hack" anytihn'. But I do have a lot of "pirated"
    :D stuff on it Haha. Is that goin to be a problem?

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Shortly before I got the heck out of IT, we upgraded a bunch of 1.25 eMacs with 512 ram (in a lab setting) from Panther to Tiger. As far as I know, nobody noticed the upgrade -- meaning no problems, but no "wow" improvements, either ...

8. yenko macrumors 6502a

Probably not... :rolleyes: as long as you did'nt screw around with the stuff that Apple installed, you should be OK. :)

9. yenko macrumors 6502a

...but I'm sure they'd have noticed if it slowed down.. :D

More so on the G5 than on the others, (meaning G4 or G3).

On my G5 it felt like "Wow". On the G4-3; snappier. :)

But, you know, that could just be me. :p

10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Tiger runs great on my eMac. (specs in sig) Boot times are noticeably faster and you'll love all of Tiger's new features (Spotlight, Dashboard, etc.) I definitely think you should upgrade.

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

With your system, you should notice a big improvement in performance. Also, you will love Spotlight, and every new feature Tiger has. It's worth the upgrade.

Note that if you eventually do the upgrade, you should do a clean install! All users who didn't do that experienced problems afterwards. You should do archive and install ONLY if you are sure that every 3rd party program will work OK!

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Go for Tiger. My iBook G4@800MHz runs far better with Tiger than it did with Panther. Just note that there are a couple of precautions you should take.

13. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Unless the documented big improvements are compelling to you, don't bother. Tiger is an "under the hood" improvements release, and Apples list of 150 new features is completely overblown (10 of them are the individual Dashboard widgets they ship with it, and they even count Quicktime Pro features in that list - which don't ship with the OS and are also available on Panther).

Retrospect makes me wish I hadn't got it,. If you look at the documented new features and aren't sure it's worth it, you've got your answer right there.

14. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm leanin towards buying it now. Any good deals? :)

15. cloud 9 macrumors regular

I'm also on Panther, and i don't bother to upgrade. I use finder (hehe), SPSS, iWork, iLife, adobe (photoshop and illustrator), Flash and indesign.

There is no need to upgrade if you don't need spotlight for your work or something like that...

wait 'till Leopard comes out, you will have the upgrades from tiger and leopard for half the price. and it will be released one year from now,
    which means in windonasian: very very soon.

16. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Go ahead and upgrade. You most likely won't regret it, and there are more benefits in upgrading than staying behind ;) not to mention a number of apps require Tiger already (including mine), and that number will continue to increase.

17. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i have to agree with cloud 9 on this...look at in this way:

if i upgrade to tiger, i will get good features such as dashboard, spotlight, etc etc etc....but do i really need them? is it worth it for $129 to upgrade to tiger and have these features? is there anything tiger can do for me that panther can not? do i want to keep my system up to date? do i actually want tiger because it is a cool upgrade with cool features?

if the answer to any of the above is yes, then i would go and slap the cash on the counter!

im sure you will do whatever your gut feeling says...that often is the best way to go.

tastic

18. Jax Mac macrumors newbie

Andy Ihnatko says so...

Hi all,

I saw Andy Ihnatko at a comic book convention in NY. He was handing out copies of his Mac pamphlet. He said I should upgrade my Panther to Tiger. But then again, I caught him red handed using a PC laptop!

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh is this remark ever like red meat thrown into the lion's cage!

Clean installs are absolutely not necessary for this or any other OSX upgrade I have seen to date. And by no means have "all users who didn't do that experienced problems." At most, a small minority have. I have never, even once, done a clean install. All my Macs have been upgraded -- all the way from 10.0 to Tiger -- and I have never experienced any problems in the process.

Is Tiger worth the money? Yes, I think so. Spotlight and Dashboard alone are worth the price of admission, IMO.