Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NP Hard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Hey all,

I currently own a mid 2013 MacBook Air as my personal laptop. As a grad student, I have a lab provided mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro (non Retina). I bought the MBA to help keep my work-life balance in check (and separate church and state - I don't want to mess up the dev environment I have on my MBP), and also as a lighter machine to take to the coffee shop or on trips and such.

Initially, I loved the MBA (and still do, in a lot of ways). But recently, I've changed the way I use it. Most of my "heavier lifting" (as a programmer) used to be done when I was hooked up to a big monitor and an external keyboard. Nowadays, I find I work directly on the laptop. As such, I've found that I'm missing the screen real estate from my (admittedly non-Retina) MBP when I'm on my MBA.

I haven't really found the MBA all that underpowered, but I'd certainly love more memory (8GB is fine, but it really restricts what I can do with VMWare).

With this in mind, I'm considering selling my MBA and getting a refurbished rMBP. I can't decide whether I want 13" or 15", but I'm thinking 15" at this stage since I'd appreciate the screen real estate.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
What's to decide? You mentioned screen real estate twice and how you're used to working on bigger monitors once. Sounds like one of the easiest decisions you can make.

Reactions: Meister

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
Kind of similar. I have a 2011 17in MBP. I also have a surface pro 2 for work. Recently I became tired of its small screen and missed my os x apps and decided to sell the surface and get a MBP and boot camp half of it. The first one I got was a 13in inch MBP. After taking it home I quickly realized I was not happy with the screen size. I returned it for the 15 and now I'm pretty happy. Based on what you said I think you should get the 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.