should i wait for an upgrade of 15" Al PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ogatasan, Nov 15, 2003.

1. ogatasan macrumors newbie

since i will supposedly get the AL-PB 1ghz only shortly b4 christmas i thought of cancelling the order and wait until the next upgraded version arrives- does anybody have an idea when this can be expected???

2. Prabz macrumors member

According to macrumor's buyers' guide it is around 103 days,from today, until the PB update. Of course, this is only an estimate, based on the average [163 days] of the release dates, which tend to fluctuate.

But the thumb rule to buying any apple computer is this:
    If your need isn't dire, you should wait till the next update.

...most definitely it should occur in the next 6 months at least i suppose.

Prabz:)

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If you need it, then get one now, if not, then wait. Either way, computers get revised every so many months so if you keep waiting you'll never get one.

4. Prabz macrumors member

Um... Thanks for re-phrasing what I said.:rolleyes:

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Calm down, I was just suggesting that if he needs one now that he should get one instead of waiting since it might be a while until a revised version is out.

6. Prabz macrumors member

WhOops! U did it again:D

heehe

This.is.Fun!

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Well if you need one, then get it now...

Okay I couldn't resist that.

I bought one of the new 15" PBs right at the end of September. I spent a lot of time waiting for the upgrade. Technically I didn't need the machine right away because I had a Linux + Windows laptop, but in my mind I did need it because I was so tired of the current system. I started waiting in January, and it ended up being a 10-month wait (if you count to the point where it was in my hands).

I am inclined to say go ahead and get it now. It has been my opinion for a couple years now that, for most things, processor speed no longer matters - current machines (Mac and PC - even laptops) have more power than almost anything you're ever likely to run will need. Certainly if you're looking at laptops you're not in that tiny fringe that actually needs the newest and best processor for their work.

After you buy, there will almost certainly be a small amount of regret when the next revision cycle hits. But even if you wait that's gonna happen - it just postpones that regret by about 6-10 months. :) I've bought five computers in my life, and believe me it always happens.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Did what again? You didn't suggest that he get a PowerBook if he needed one now, so I did seeing how it is a sensible thing to do.

9. ogatasan thread starter macrumors newbie

it WAS dire straits

... he already would have needed it (badly). he ordered it because he keeps chasing after his girlfriend and knew he would be away from his office at least 4 times for an average of 7 days each before christmas. if you take in consideration that he might work for 3 hours while being away it would add up to 7x4x3=84 hours for the remaining year. that would mean he could increase his profit by 84 x 30us$... jesus thats 2520$!!! i should have bought the 17 inch for that which would already be mine for weeks now!

thanx prabz for your useful link to the buyers guide - guess newbies suck...
    thanx mr powerbook too

no need to plunge into arguments...

so... i defenitely need it asap and will stick to the 15" which i already ordered, even though nobody can tell me if they are being shipped at the moment...

10. Prabz macrumors member

LOLLL!!!

To Powerbook G5:
    Gosh! loosen up, buddy! I was only pulling your leg:D

Actually ::ahem:: I did say exactly that:

Anyway just wanted to add to Westside guys comments...

I too have sailed the waiting boat [for 3 years now, at that!;)] ...before I finally took the plunge and placed my order last week. Yay!
    Since I'm still in college, I figured that I might as well use the computers at school and get my money's worth, you know! And that is exactly what I have been doing all these years... and have survived wonderfully. Ofcourse, nobody needs to wait THAT l-o-n-g:eek: before making a purchase, but if you can, you should™:) ...Here's why:"Better bang for money"–– since buying later means you get a faster computer for less, since technology gets better and cheaper with time. This means you would have access to a better computer tomorrow at a cheaper price than what is available today. Everybody knows that!!!

So, anyway, with regards to ogatasan's PB dilemma, I have 4 reasons that would merit buying a PB now:
    1) You have no computer at all
    2) You are a college senior and just have to make a computer purchase before you graduate (especially to get the *education discount* before the (apple's) "academic year" ends: viz., June 30th, '04)
    3) You don't want to miss Apple's 6 month's same~as~cash deal going on currently [since you never know if it is going to be around tomorrow or not!]
    4) You are sick and tired of waiting..

Fortunately/unfortunately all of the above apply to ~yourz truely:cool:~; that's why I decided to bite the bullet ...and its about Friggin' time! But If I didn't have all these factors going for me now, I would have much rather waited even still, till perhaps May 2004, and still have fulfilled the first two reasons! But the order's been placed for my precious BTO PB, and I'm excitedly waiting for it to be shipped, delay or no delay. Hell, if I can wait 3 years...:rolleyes:

Anyway hope that helps!
    Prabz

[EDIT: haha...guess ogatasan beat me to posting a follow-up first!]

11. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Even these people need to work on the go. :)

12. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I saw this on http://www.winsupersite.com

Q: What's up with the name Longhorn?

A: As I first revealed, the Longhorn name wasn't chosen randomly. Remember that Windows XP was code-named Whistler and the next version of Windows, at the time, was code-named Blackcomb. Both of these names come from ski areas in British Columbia, close to Microsoft's headquarters. At the foot of Whistler Mountain, there is a saloon named Longhorn that serves the local skiing population. So if you're ever in the area and want to take in some local color, Longhorn is a nice stop… after you're done with Whistler.

13. Prabz macrumors member

dude...you just killed it!

I actually like Powerbook G5's take on that. It's witty!

Q: Which would you rather be at the end of the day?

A: Oh, I'm definitely a :eek:"Panther"...

*letz out a big squeak!*

:D

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'd buy...

I don't see there being any major upgrades for the 15" PBs anytime soon. If you can wait 6 months, okay, maybe, but I'm thinking your best bet is to buy now. After all, the 15" just got updated after 11 months of no updates (or whatever it was!), so I don't see anymore updates for a while.

I don't see the G5 PBs coming out anytime soon (not until summer, fall '04?), so I think if you see anymore updates to the 15", it's going to be either minor updates, like a slighter bigger/faster Hard Drive, or a price reduction by a couple hundred $$$. Other than that, I don't see any major updates for a while.

After all, the next major updates should logically be for xServes (G5s), PowerMacs (speed boosts), and LCDs. They may even stick a G5 in the iMac before the 15" PB if they can't figure out the heating issues in time. And these will be the kind of updates revealed at MWSF - I don't see anything else major for a little while after that.

Oh, and don't forget that even though updates get announced on a certain date, you're usually looking at 2 months afterwards before they actually start shipping, so figure that into your timing as well. ;) Doesn't happen all the time, but it's something to consider as well.

Anyway, just my thoughts!

15. ogatasan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx shard- sounds definitely convincing... if only i knew more bout those shipping delays.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, me too - I honestly don't know all the factors involved in shipping delays. It seems like when an entirely new product is released, then you're looking at shipping dates way out there - the perfect example being the new G5 PowerMacs - an entirely new system, which Jobs wanted to announce as soon as he could, at a major event, but then they didn't actually ship until 4-5 months later! And this was with Apple stating that the G5s actually started shipping only 2 months afterwards (but no one receiving them right away). I believe there may be some people out there who still haven't received their BTO G5s yet... ;) In all fairness though, Apple supplies may not have figured on Virginia Tech buying 1100 G5s for their supercomputer cluster, which may have slowed down things a bit.

But, with the latest "minor" updates to the eMacs and iMacs, I believe they were shipping right away. Same with the PBs, I think. So as I said, I don't know all the factors involved. As with everything else, it all comes down to timing, my friend! :)

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Not sure if it applies not too, but my PowerBook took extra long to ship because it had to clear customs, which had it for the better part of a week before it finally got here for the actual second day delivery.

18. Maritan macrumors regular

What is this deal about? I'm planning on getting a 15 incher myself pretty soon - maybe within the next couple weeks. So I need to know all the money saving tactics (if this is one).

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Hmm, me too - what exactly is this deal? :)

20. macguymike macrumors 6502

21. Prabz macrumors member

...just to add to Macguymike's comments...

Apple's 6 months' same-as-cash deal basically enabled me to take a loan for the PB I ordered a couple of weeks ago. I believe it is valid for 4 months from the sign-up date----but I went ahead and made my purchase, since I *hope* to get it for X'mas:D
    I do not start paying for my gift until Jan 2004, so that's GOOD!
    Oh, but, like me if you do take this deal, make sure to pay it all off within SIX months, 'coz after that Apple starts milking you with an insane interest rate, something like 23%:eek:, unless you are amongst the few to be eligible for the 9.99% loan rate [...For that, you would probably need to have, the oh-so-elusive pristine credit history]
    But, even still, why pay even THAT extra amount, I say :rolleyes: ! !

Cheers!
    Prabz

22. Prabz macrumors member

...forgot to add:
    My monthly payments, which begin January, are interest free; since I intend to pay off the loan by June 2004 (within the specified 6 months). The actual loan payment period, set by Apple & MBNA, runz much further (minimum = 24 months)

...for um..obvious reasons...

;) ;) ;)

23. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Re: Powerbook waiting thingy

If you need a machine with not as much power as a PowerBook, go for a iBook G4. They have better cases-that for one CAN be used on your lap, and scratches are less appearant. Also, all of the models have white spot on the screen form foam spacers pressing on the back of the LCD. I'd wait until the iBook G4 is regutted because right now it half half the processor cache of the PowerBook, and uses slower RAM, and has a less robust graphics processing unit, a smaller hard drive, and doesn't look as cool, so definently wait for the next PowerBook- it may be a dual processor PowerBook G4!

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

You can't say that all of the new PowerBooks have white spots because not all do. I've had mine since it came out and it doesn't have a single defect.

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Re: Re: Powerbook waiting thingy

If an iBook will do the trick, go right ahead, but I wouldn't be put off by the whole "****e spot" issue - I know of quite a few people who have those PBs and have never encountered that problem. Yet, at least. ;)

As for waiting until the next Rev, I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting and never actually buy anything.