Should i wait for Apple 2 button mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by inlimbo, Apr 24, 2005.

1. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I read here (or somewhere else) that Apple were bevering away at making a 2-button mouse with a scroll wheel due to the popularity of the mac mini. I went into my local apple retailer and almost bought the apple wireless mouse but I held off. I really want one but I will be so pissed if they bring out the 2-button version. Should I wait (or is it all speculation) or just buy the apple hockey-puk (bar of soap as my friend calls it) now?

Cheers
    inlimbo...

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I wouldn't count on it. That rumor was a couple maybe three months ago...

3. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

You can get a 2 button mouse cordless mouse for $50. Just get one. Why mess around with a 1 button mouse if you don't like it.

4. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no problem with using ctrl-click but I would like to use a scroll wheel. Everyone agrees that the Apple mouse is great so thats why im going for it. I want a blue-tooth mouse which doesn't go through 2 batteries a month. The Apple wireless seems to satisfy these requirements. It also looks wicked! The only down side is the absence of the scroll whell.

I don't wont to start another mouse thread. :) I know the Logitech MX1000 etc are awesome too.

inlimbo...

5. 36183 Guest

what novelty would a apple mouse with two buttons have?

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have a bluetooth wireless Apple mouse and I like the wireless feature but hate the mouse. I tried to find a bluetooth mouse that has multiple buttons but they are hard to find. Not a lot of them available and the ones that are available are more expensive. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have paid extra and got a BT mouse that I wanted.

It isn't necessary for Apple to build a 2 button mouse. Buy one from Microsoft.

7. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The microsoft one isn't compatible with macs. Paying $70+ for a mouse of which you can only use the buttons and not all the cool features like the 4 way scroll button is silly.
    I've also been looking for a bt mouse that'll suit my needs. I really don't want one with a bluetooth receiver in the docking station. I just want something like apple's bt mouse with a minimum of 2 buttons and above all a scroll wheel.
    The top of the line logitech bt mouse is nice but I've heard there can be pairing issues if you don't use the bluetooth receiver in the dock! I'm just sticking with my simple wired logitech 2 button optical until apple brings out something decent.

8. Bear macrumors G3

DVForge (formerly MacMice) has a Bluetooth mouse that is pretty much the same size and shape as Apple's mouse. The diffference is it does have two buttons and a scrollwheel.

Note that people have had different experiences with it. Mine has been working fine. The only time I noticed anything flaky it was an indication that it was time to change the batteries.

9. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Those are my exact sentiments! I want to use Bluetooth because: (a) Ive got a new PB and I want to play with the Bluetooth feature :) (b) I want to have the utopia of a cord-free desk and (c) I don't want to have USB recievers or docking stations as I need all my ports.

I really don't see why Apple can't add a freakin scroll wheel. I completely undertand why they use the one button (forces programmers to put every thing in menus not just right click menus and for tech support reasons) but why no scroll wheel?

That has to be the most controversial product I have ever read about. Some people argue that it 'feels cheap' and is expensive. It was very expensive last time I looked. How is the battery life Bear?

10. anubis macrumors 6502a

If you want a 2 button mouse so bad, just buy a 3rd party mouse. I've got a Kensington 2 button optical mouse, only cost about $10 on ebay

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sure, why not...

People have been waiting 20 years for Apple to release a 2-button mouse, and they're still waiting.

Hop onboard at the end of the line.

It's not like there are better alternatives being sold by 3rd parties for nominal prices.

You must wait for the Apple mouse, so it all matches cosmetically. Or people are going to point and laugh at your terrible sense of style.

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'll agree with your sarcasm if you can give me one good alternative.