Should I wait for Apple or just go to CompUSA, Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by starcrossed, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. starcrossed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    Location:
    San Antonio,TX
    #1
    I finally ordered my new 15'' Powerbook from Apple on 6/7 with an expected ship date for 6/15. As I antcipatedly wait for yesterday to pass, to see that my order has shipped, I wake up this morning to discover the ship date has been pushed back to 6/21. I don't know if I can wait any longer, I've waited over 2 years to finally afford a Powerbook and now Apple keeps extending that wait time more. :( I was thinking today, maybe I should just cancel the order and walk into my local CompUSA and out with a Powerbook in my hands. The only thing was that I did a build-to-order thing, where I upgraded the VRAM to 128Mb, the hard drive speed to 5400rpm, and asked to have only a single 512mb stick of Ram put in. Judging from the changes I made from the base unit, are they worthy enough changes for me to sit and wait a little longer, or not much of a difference that I could just be happy with a base unit from the local store. Please talk me down, or encourage me to run out and buy one immediatly. :confused:
     
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

    LeeTom

    Joined:
    May 31, 2004
    #2
    Hey,
    I was in the same situation, and ended up running out and buying one right away. In retrospect, I wish I had waited a little bit so I could've gotten the 5200rpm drive... and you won't regret the video ram decision either. If you waited this long to save up, I recommend waiting another 2 weeks.

    Lee Tom
     
  3. Oirectine macrumors regular

    Oirectine

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #3
    Dude, wait! In a couple weeks you'll have a computer you're much happier with! :D
     
  4. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

    PowerMacMan

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, Illinois
    #4
    Better to wait and spend your whole life in happiness than to make a spur of the moment choice and spend a week in happiness, then the next in denial...

    And it's only a week, not two
     
  5. Toeknee macrumors regular

    Toeknee

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2003
    Location:
    San Antonio, Texas
    #5
    Yeah go ahead and wait. But if you must go out and buy one from a store dont get it from Compusa, just make an hour drive up to Austin to the new Apple Store in the Barton Creek Mall. That way you'd be dealing with Apple directly and not compusa. :) I had my PB built to order and it got to me a week after I ordered it. That 128mb of VRAM should put a giant smile on your face, makes me kinda wish i'd waited a couple months :-D
     
  6. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    Location:
    San Antonio,TX
    #6
    It seems like you all are succesfully talking me down from making a possible regretful decision. I think I'll just wait the few extra days and hopefully Apple won't push back the ship date again. Also my birthday is on the 24th, so maybe Apple might send me the greatest present in the world that day. :cool:
     
  7. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

    Dale Sorel

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2003
    #7
    You're joking, right? With the rate of change within the computer industry?

    There's always something better waiting just around the corner. I say go out and get what you want NOW. You could be dead tomorrow :(
     
  8. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

    PowerMacMan

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, Illinois
    #8
    Yes but the best time to buy Macs are when they just recieved updates... and iMac is going to have an update SOON! It's overdue... I would wait for that then buy the current iMac... And many would agree...
     
  9. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

    Dale Sorel

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2003
    #9
    Then I reckon it must be the right thing to do :rolleyes:
     
  10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

    tdhurst

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2003
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #10
    Just wait...

    Dude, just be patient. You're getting a better (well, slightly, but still) computer by waiting a short 7 days. If they were the same specs, I would tell you just to grab it from CompUSA. The way technology updates itself constantly, you will feel less out-of-date if you buy the most powerful computer available at any given time.
     
  11. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    So. Cal
    #11
    Wait

    Sinced you can't upgrade the VRAM. Since you can't upgrade the hard drive (without voiding the warrenty or taking it back to Apple Service) without it adding even more to the cost................WAIT for a few more days to get what you ordered, unless you have some reason to believe that you really don't want to get what you waited so much longer for. The immediate solution isn't the best, if by waiting a little longer you get a better machine.
     
  12. budaapple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Location:
    Ill.
    #12
    talk to apple rep

    Most Compusa stores have an assigned rep in them and if you tell him your predicament he will find a way to help you. Also not known by many is the fact that each Comp store usually has one good Apple tech and since they are headquartered in Dallas chances are they will have the parts you would like to upgrade. They have been secretly carrying these parts for a 1-1/2 years. Patience is great and may be worth it but I quarantee the Apple rep will be more than happy to help.
    Good Luck
     
  13. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004
    Location:
    Tokyo
    #13
    WAIT WAIT and WAIT. I didn't go off and by the "standard" specs and I have NO regrets. I had to wait as well and its well worth it. If your really craving one, go to compusa and stare at the powerbook and use it as if it is yours. By the time you get bored, it will arrive.
     
  14. johng723 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2004
    Location:
    California
    #14
    Yea, I was in the same dilema when I was waiting for my powerbook, but now I'm happy that I waited. Apple also ended up shipping my powerbook almost a week earlier and shipped it to me next day shipping when I chose 2-3 day.
     
  15. goodwill macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    London
    #15
    I agree- Just hold out a little longer. The abscence of it makes the heart grow fonder right!! Haha. Anyhow, most likely even if you tried to cancel your order you couldnt. Normally about 30 minutes after you place an order with Apple, then you call them when they tell you not to call until an hour after youve placed the order, yea, well I did and they said they could only issue me an RMA # (For Returns/Exchanges) because the item had already begun to ship (all this without it saying it was being processed via the online account I have through Apple) Dude, when you do get it, you better drop us a message and let us know how stellar the wait and the outcome became.
     
  16. Flowbee macrumors 68030

    Flowbee

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Alameda, CA
    #16
    You may want to call the Austin store and see if they have any of the upgraded Powerbooks currently in stock. My local store had one with 128mb VRAM available last week. Won't hurt to call and ask.
     

Share This Page