Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6s or wait for 7

• 6s

Votes: 126 29.4%

Votes: 302 70.6%

• Total voters

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
3rd party apps can never be as seamlessly integrated. Most of Apple users actually buy into the ecosystem rather than just a device. Unless you're part of the ecosystem you won't know what you're missing. Same goes for your friends and family.

I agree with your points. It's though, because even when blackberry was already dead, people still loved BBM but Blackberry took far too long to offer it on other platforms. There was a time when they could have capitalized on it's own popularity and made a run to become the premier cross-platform messaging app. While people who bought into the Apple ecosystem like iMessage, it won't be that way forever.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I agree with your points. It's though, because even when blackberry was already dead, people still loved BBM but Blackberry took far too long to offer it on other platforms. There was a time when they could have capitalized on it's own popularity and made a run to become the premier cross-platform messaging app. While people who bought into the Apple ecosystem like iMessage, it won't be that way forever.
Although I understand your point but the comparison is a bit flawed. BlackBerry never had a consumer focused ecosystem.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
3rd party apps can never be as seamlessly integrated. Most of Apple users actually buy into the ecosystem rather than just a device. Unless you're part of the ecosystem you won't know what you're missing. Same goes for your friends and family.

It was all good until 2012-2013, when mobile overtook the Net and Android devices flooded the userbase. Seamless or not, I can still get notifications and click an icon with third party apps. I don't want to become evangelist, at least not in the Post Jobs era.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It was all good until 2012-2013, where mobile overtook the Net and Android devices flooded the userbase. Seamless or not, I can still get notifications and click an icon with third party apps. I don't want to become evangelist, at least not in the Post Jobs era.
As I said, it's not one device. It's the ecosystem that matters.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I've been on swappa for like three days straight trying to find a good deal

No need to do that, just go to an Apple Store and get which one you want. If you like it then keep it, if not then return it and wait for the 7.

If you want it preowned, you can order refurbished from Apple or go to a Gamespot store that carries iPhones. With those alternatives you can still try one out.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
As I said, it's not one device. It's the ecosystem that matters.

A single sentence without context? How appealing. How does the ecosystem matter? I buy an iPhone for thinness, responsiveness and the UI. Their own apps are detoriating, even though they tried to copy Google Docs with web interface etc. No can do.

I still like the Mail app on iOS and OS X. Safari I no longer use in OS X. Fantastical and Cloudmagic may be challenging the calendar and the mail app. The settings interface on iOS is a mess. Just a lot of choices. I try my best to not go in there at all. The latest Android is actual better at making vital changes fast.

But yes, I have in a way bought my way into the ecosystem with Apple Airplay. I own a Beoplay A9, and DLNA is hell to use. If it wasn't for the stereo system, I think I would probably drop the whole "ecosystem". Spotify connect is far superior to Airplay, but again, it serves a single purpose, so less complex than the spaghetti of inhouse apps and technologies that Apple try to hook us up with.

I have been questioning rather than appraising mobile technology the last year. Do I really need to spend 800 dollars to gain access to this convenience? 3D touch last year wasn't worth the upgrade, though the CPU and RAM may have been for heavy Plus users.

Last edited:

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I'm way late to this topic, but I honestly would have gone with a Samsung rather than the abomination that is the 6s. So many hardware issues with the 3 I've had (and my family has issues with all 4 of theirs as well.) This is one case where Apple has screwed up big time. I don't recommend any iPhones past the 5s to anyone due to the weird issues the 6 series phones have had. :/
I'm really hoping the 7 will be better.

Kallum.

Reactions: determined09

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
dont quote me, but given september 7th is rumored event date,

14 days out, effective today, assuming you are willing to go back to the store exactly in 2 weeks post announcement, you should be able to get 6s /6s plus and $100 price reduction price match if you truly cannot wait any longer

likely going to recommend my mom get a 6s plus on Friday, just to buy another day or two, but her 6 is on the fritz and the microphone sounds underwater half the time,

she hasnt taken kindly to the lack of headphone jack on next model ,

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I'm way late to this topic, but I honestly would have gone with a Samsung rather than the abomination that is the 6s. So many hardware issues with the 3 I've had (and my family has issues with all 4 of theirs as well.) This is one case where Apple has screwed up big time. I don't recommend any iPhones past the 5s to anyone due to the weird issues the 6 series phones have had. :/
I'm really hoping the 7 will be better.

Kallum.
You realize your experience is not the norm, 7 iphones with issues in one family, Makes your rant kinda irrelevant.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You realize your experience is not the norm, 7 iphones with issues in one family, Makes your rant kinda irrelevant.
I'm actually thinking it's user issues. 7 phones within the same family can never be bad. Too much of a coincidence.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I'm actually thinking it's user issues. 7 phones within the same family can never be bad. Too much of a coincidence.

We all have issues with our phones. Some people just make more noise about them. So in language they seem so much bigger...

DbhMy59.png

Last edited:

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I bought a 6S Plus today, traded in my 16 GB 6 Plus. I wanted full trade in value & didn't want to hassle selling the old one myself. Very pleased with my new 64GB phone in rose gold. If the iPhone 7 is great I might decide to get it in a couple of months.

I was tearing my hair out having so little storage with the 6 Plus, never again, 64GB is comfortable for me :)

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
I bought a 6S Plus today, traded in my 16 GB 6 Plus. I wanted full trade in value & didn't want to hassle selling the old one myself. Very pleased with my new 64GB phone in rose gold. If the iPhone 7 is great I might decide to get it in a couple of months.

I was tearing my hair out having so little storage with the 6 Plus, never again, 64GB is comfortable for me :)

I am thinking about picking a 6s up this weekend with Tmobiles $100 deal with iphone 6 trade in. I could care less about the 7 and didn't plan to upgrade at all. But for only $100 seems like its worth for the bump in specs.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon

Since you got the 64GB version, wouldn't be smarter to wait another month till the new iPhone will be available, and then to get the 6s (or the Plus) with reduced price ?

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
The camera will be better for sure.

If consumers are lucky, the 6SE will be comparable to the Samsung Galaxy 7. However, I expect Samsung and Android devices in general to always be at least a few steps ahead of Apple when it comes to their camera. Perhaps 2017 will be different.

Having owned the S7 precisely because I thought the camera would be better, I have to disagree with you. The 6s camera is definitely better. It is slower. It has a slower lens. It doesn't have optical image stabilization. It doesn't have pro mode built in. No question the S7 comes with better hardware. In fact, it's not even that close.

So then how could I come to this conclusion? Because it turns out that the primary reason people (me) are satisifed in the LONG run with the camera are the final images that it outputs. And the S7 outputs oversharpened, plastic-looking images that are often overexposed. Colors are also not as natural as the iPHone's. In low light there is a yellow cast. YES, you can output raw and then run a filter in some other app or on your phone and tweak how you like. You can adjust the white balance on every low light photo.

In isolation and viewed on the AMOLED screen, you may not see it quite as much. But the flaws are there.

But the iPhone outputs perfectly exposed, right-on color in every situation such that pro mode isn't really needed except for sports (you need a dedicated camera anyway, no cell phone is going to do it right in anything but full sunlight).

I did not know it, but looking at family member's iphone over these last few months....well their pics were always better than mine from the S7.

Please note that for the S6, wow, that was really nice and Samsung did not kill the postprocessing. But the latest and greatest, S7, long-term, you won't be happy with it.

For this reason, I just choose to trust that Apple has 800 people working on the iPhone and it does show. You take it for granted, but there is some serious work that went into making it "just work". No idea why they don't put in better components, I agree. But their cameras have not taken a backseat to any smartphone's to me. Same goes for video. S7 video has all the pixels, all the modes, but the 6s plus' video stabilization looked much better to me. Go figure.

But the S7 can be had for almost half the price. So is it worth it? For me, it's not if you want to photograph semi-precious moments of pets, family, etc. I'd rather have photos that have the color right and the exposure nailed.
[doublepost=1472313286][/doublepost]Looking at the SE, it's got the battery life of an iPhone plus. Some say even better. With the 10% larger iPhone 7 battery, the same crappy screen, and a 20% more efficient A10 processor, I'm hopeful that the iPhone 7 battery life will equal the SE and the 6s plus. We all know the 6s and 6s plus regressed on already mediocre battery life a little bit.

The biggest reason to get the iPhone 7 will be the battery life. It should be able to last an entire day of heavy use. I do not think that the camera will be much better. The rest will be about the same. The A9 is already so fast that I think we're bumping up on human perception to be tell the difference in speed.

If the 7 has only the same battery life as the 6s, absolutely no way should anyone buy the 7. There'd really be no reason to other than perhaps a mildly better camera.

We all have issues with our phones. Some people just make more noise about them. So in language they seem so much bigger...
I am curious. I talked to several people in passing recently and they have made complaints on the recent iphones and they are somewhat unhappy with their iphone 6+ phones. What are the common issues?

I know my question is a bit off topic, but I think it would be beneficial if it helps others to become more informed and then ultimately weigh the pros and cons.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I was going to wait for the 7 but when browsing Swappa today I found a 128gb 6s plus with plenty of accessories for a sweet deal. I went ahead and bought it. Looking forward to using a iPhone again after several months. If the 7 ends up being the bees knees I might get that after the holidays but most likely I will wait for next year's model. We will see what happens.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Since you got the 64GB version, wouldn't be smarter to wait another month till the new iPhone will be available, and then to get the 6s (or the Plus) with reduced price ?

I thought about that but with price reductions usually come reduced value for phones being traded in. Seriously, my 16GB phone had become intolerable moving over to the newer, 64GB model was well worth it imho.

Reactions: areyes163
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.