Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6s or wait for 7

• 6s

Votes: 126 29.4%

Votes: 302 70.6%

• Total voters

Bodygard

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
Why is it important for the phone to change on the outside ?

Because "You first eat with your eyes”. Design is import in function, the handling, comfort etc but mostly it appeals to peoples hearts and passions. As time goes by, people are getting used to see the 6 and 6S and feel the need to "fall in love again".

I'm probably buying this 6SS or 7 or like they want to call it but, i'm also getting the 8 next year because of the brand new design.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I'm probably buying this 6SS or 7 or like they want to call it but, i'm also getting the 8 next year because of the brand new design.

I'm in the same situation you are. I'll be buying a new phone this year, but I'll also be buying next year's iPhone as well to get the new design. The question for me is should I buy a 6s Plus on Swappa now for cheap and wait until next year to upgrade, or get a 7 at full price this year and also upgrade next year.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Not going to lie. Have to consider iPhone 7.

Note 7 doesn't seem very different and this might be the first time Galaxy S series (edge) beats the Note series. But a few things coming from Apple has got me intrigued.

Removing headphone jack - Doesn't bother me. I rarely use a headset anymore except for FM radio.

Removing the physical home button - I like it. Makes every iPhone that come before it feel archaic with that physical home that wears out over time. Hoping the removal of the physical home button lowers the bezel and dimensions a slight but that could still be a stretch.

Water-resistant and wireless charging - Both rumors too but I think the removal of the headphone jack might make the former true.

32 GB base model - Finally Apple decides to wake up since 16 is practically useless to most people.

Some people will wait out for the 10th anniversary next year for the bigger changes but I am not a fan of OLED because of burn-in and the technology doesn't last as long as LCD. Oversaturation too. OLED is no big deal to me. And also the all-glass exterior again.

I think this year's iPhone is getting slept on before its release. Maligned when it could be underrated. We might end up without a metal back iPhone again until 2020 if the three-year design cycle is also true starting in 2017. That's getting a metal back WITH water-resist.

Either HTC or Apple for me. If neither wow, then get Samsung Galaxy S7 edge in silver as it could still be the best phone by the time the next iPhone and Nexus are announced even if it features the glass fingerprint magnet exterior.

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
Not going to lie. Have to consider iPhone 7.

Note 7 doesn't seem very different and this might be the first time Galaxy S series (edge) beats the Note series. But a few things coming from Apple has got me intrigued.

Removing headphone jack - Doesn't bother me. I rarely use a headset anymore except for FM radio.

Removing the physical home button - I like it. Makes every iPhone that come before it feel archaic with that physical home that wears out over time. Hoping the removal of the physical home button lowers the bezel and dimensions a slight but that could still be a stretch.

Water-resistant and wireless charging - Both rumors too but I think the removal of the headphone jack might make the former true.

32 GB base model - Finally Apple decides to wake up since 16 is practically useless to most people.

Some people will wait out for the 10th anniversary next year for the bigger changes but I am not a fan of OLED because of burn-in and the technology doesn't last as long as LCD. Oversaturation too. OLED is no big deal to me. And also the all-glass exterior again.

I think this year's iPhone is getting slept on before its release. Maligned when it could be underrated. We might end up without a metal back iPhone again until 2020 if the three-year design cycle is also true starting in 2017. That's getting a metal back WITH water-resist.

Either HTC or Apple for me. If neither wow, then get Samsung Galaxy S7 edge in silver as it could still be the best phone by the time the next iPhone and Nexus are announced even if it features the glass fingerprint magnet exterior.

I have the Note 4 and I'm going to get the iphone 7. Galaxy 7 doesn't seem like much new.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The iPhone 7 might be the only iPhone in this decade that will be waterproof and have a metal rear design. We might be stuck with all-glass, bezel-less iPhones dreamt up by Jony Ive for the next three years starting in 2017. The iPhone 6s is not worth to get right now when only months away from the 7 announcement.

Don't have this on your mind if you don't plan to use a case...

samsung-galaxy-s6-review-39-420-100.jpg

samsung-s7-cracked-broken-6654-001.jpg

^ After hearing Johnny Hates Jazz song "Shattered Dreams", cue next to No Doubt's "Spiderwebs"....

Very important in the long haul to have an EASY-TO-FIX iPhone too. Something to open up easily and replace the battery or display. Something an S7 edge is NOT according to iFixIt. And probably not something a bezel-less iPhone made of one sheet of glass will offer either. Be practical.

iphone-8-concept1.jpg

piker944

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Seattle
[doublepost=1467844364][/doublepost]
The more and more leaks I see gets me more concerned though... I dont like the idea of having to compromise on for example charging my phone and listening to my music as it is needed through the one lightning port....

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/07/05/iphone-7-leak-schematic/

I'm convinced the iPhone 7 will have wireless charging. So they'll promote the solution that users who need to listen AND charge at the same time will do so by using the port and/or bluetooth while using wireless charging.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store

I'm convinced the iPhone 7 will have wireless charging. So they'll promote the solution that users who need to listen AND charge at the same time will do so by using the port and/or bluetooth while using wireless charging.
If they did that, it would be awesome, but I believe they'll save wireless charging for the 2017 iPhone honestly. If they add it this year, I would be thrilled!

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
I bought the 6 the summer before the 6s came out and regretted it a month later. I'm waiting for the 7. Worst case scenario, I'll get the 6s at a cheaper price.

Edit: Side Note, I'm waiting too because hopefully the 7's battery life will be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: dellaster

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
This is why I got the SE. I couldn't decide between 6s or 6s+, then I couldn't decide between 6s or 7. Or 7 or 8.

I'm not someone who changes phones often, SE is inexpensive enough and has all the bells and whistles of up to date tech, so I'm quite happy with this combination. Now I can wait on the sidelines, until something I really really want shows up.

Anneks

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2015
UK
If they did that, it would be awesome, but I believe they'll save wireless charging for the 2017 iPhone honestly. If they add it this year, I would be thrilled!

Apparently a Foxconn (manufacturers of the iPhone) slideshow presentation was leaked showing that the iPhone 7 models will have wireless charging and waterproofing allowing 30 minute submersion under water.

Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/07/08/apple-iphone-7-late-upgrades/#576a22e4bec0

dellaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2016
Of course, if Verizon wants to give me a new iPhone 6s Plus 64GB in space gray for $550... Nope, not going to wait for the 7. I grabbed the deal. :)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Not happening on the 7. :apple:

oliver_1809

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2015
I am looking to upgrade my (very old) iPhone 4s. It's very slow and it's starting to irritate me because of the small screen size. Therefore I am considering to buy the "new" iPhone 64GB but because Apple usually releases a new iPhone in Septembre, I am wondering if I should upgrade now to the iPhone 6s of wait for the possibly new iPhone 7(Plus).
Any help is much appreciated!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
At this point it makes more sense to wait a couple of months and see what the iPhone 7 has to offer. Even if you're not impressed by it, Apple will likely drop the price of the previous generation (6s) by about $100.

Basically, you can buy something now, but you're practically guaranteed to get the same phone for less or a better phone for the same price if you wait about 2 months.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Of course the iPhone 6S is still worth buying. However, I wouldn't purchase it at full price. If you can get a deal on a used or refurbished one it may be worth it. Otherwise, I like what @joeblow7777 said, just wait to see what the 7 has to offer.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
If you need a new phone now, get it and move on. If not, i would wait till the new one comes in September and buy the 6s for less money, unless you're one of these that need the latest and the greatest, but i doubt coz you still rocking 4s...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I bought a new iPhone 6+ (not 6S+) 3 months ago, moving up from a 5, and I have zero regrets and won't be buying the new 7 in September no matter what it does or what it looks like. I like my new phone a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.