Should I wait for the next revisions of the ibook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Pipian, May 25, 2003.

  1. Pipian macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    #1
    Will there be a max of 1 gig of ram in the next revision? What about airport extreme?
     
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

    cb911

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2002
    Location:
    BrisVegas, Australia
    #2
    no, don't wait. if you want one, then get one now. i mean, they were just updated not that long ago.

    and the next ones i'm about 99% sure won't have 1GB of RAM. Apple needs a way to differentiate between the Pro (PowerBooks) and Consumer (iBook) lines. i think the iBooks will keep their current max RAM.

    i'm not too sure about Airport Extreme...
     
  3. maraczc macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2003
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #3
    Do you really need Airport Extreme? I mean, no home connection is too fast for regular Airport anyways. But even if you are connecting to a LAN or your collage has super fast internet connections, do you have any special work that requires a connection faster than 11 MB per second? I personally would prefer to save $20 and be able to use the cheaper Airport cards.

    But to answer your question, I say buy it now. Most likely this will be the last revision of the current iBooks. If current rumors are correct the PPC 970 will be comming out late this summer, or in the fall. They won't put the new PPC 750 in the iBooks until the other computers have PPC 970. My guess is that the case revisions and other stuff will be saved for the update after this upcoming one. Anyways, chances are pretty slim that the next update will ahve anythign special about it. So, would you really like to wait four months to see the next revision when most liekly it won't be the super udate you are expecting? What if you wait four motnhs and find out you have to wait another five months? You'd regret it. Just get it now and if you must save up a little money to trade in your iBook for a new one when the major update does come.
     
  4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

    ZildjianKX

    Joined:
    May 18, 2003
    #4
    I was pondering the other day if my college would upgrade to the new IEEE 802.11g standard for their wireless access points... but to be honest there isn't a reason to yet. Even if they did upgrade, 99.99% of the time someone else would be connecting with an old 802.11b card and bring everyone down to the 11 MB per second anyways... making the upgrade pointless... just food for thought :)
     
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #5
    hey man, at least your college has wireless... I'm still livin' in the dark ages. :)
     
  6. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #6
    Well, we have wireless in certain locations around campus, but the physics building isn't going to get it, at least not any time soon, especially with all of the budget issues that we've got now.

    As for whether or not to buy now, I'd recommend that, unless your current computer is satisfactory for the next six months to a year, then don't wait. If you computer is satisfactory for that long, then go ahead and wait. By a year from now I'd guess that the iBooks will either have the 7457 G4 processor, or the 750GX 'Gobi' (G4i?) processor, probably in excess of 1GHz. So, it will be a notably faster computer than you can get now. But, it's a big trade off to be without a satisfactory computer between now and then.


    35...
     
  7. yzedf macrumors 65816

    yzedf

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2002
    Location:
    Connecticut
  8. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #8
    Re: Gobi

    The original G4 was little more than a G3 + Altivec. So, if Apple were to use the 750GX, which presumably is a next generation G3 + an Altivec compatible unit, who's to say they won't call it a G4? To date, the only thing that has truly distinguished the Moto G4s from the IBM G3s is Altivec. Every time I've seen speed comparisons between machines at similar clock speeds, they score almost equally except in Altivec intensive tasks. So, add Altivec to an IBM G3 and get an IBM G4.

    Of course, all of this is pure speculation on my part. It just seems to make sense. Names like 'G3' and 'G4' are really all about marketing, anyway. Apple can call the processors whatever they like. I just think that it makes some marketing sense that they could use 'Gobi' as a leverage to get away from Moto, without giving up having 'G4's in their lower end computers and laptops.


    31...
     

Share This Page