Should I wait for 'Tiger' or get my PB now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by step, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. step macrumors newbie

    Feb 23, 2005
    Dear all, I'm going to switch to powerbook from windows based laptops. My only consideration now is that should I wait till June till the 'Tiger' go out. Otherwise, I will spend over 100 bucks more on the new upadated system. :confused:

    Any comment is welcome! Thanks.
  2. Applespider macrumors G4


    Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Do you need the laptop now? Or do you have something else that you can use for the next few months? How much is $100 to you - a large chunk of income or pocket money?

    If you have a serviceable machine already, you might as well wait. If not, and it's going to be a struggle getting on with things, then buy it now. Similarly if $100 is a good night out, then pick up Tiger later. If it's a chunk of your house rent, then wait.

    Bear in mind that getting into the 'waiting' game can be torturous to your health since you may then end up waiting for the next product revision, then the next software upgrade, then the next product revision.
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus


    Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Panther is pretty solid. And you don't have to have Tiger. There's plenty of folks still using Jaguar. IMO waiting for Tiger shouldn't really determine whether you should get a Mac now, especially if you're fed up and want to switch. Get the PB, get used to OS X (in general) and then upgrade to "Lion" (or will it be "Orange Tabby"?) in 2 years. :)
  4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    The Powerbooks have been updated fairly recently. Instead of worrying about Tiger or not I would be checking forums for any recurring hardware issues.
  5. Eevee macrumors 6502a


    Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    I agree w/ Applespider. If you don't need it now, then wait.

    Also, the waiting game is VERY TORTUROUS!! There WILL be new revision, software upgrade, etc.

    Like what yellow stated, Panther is solid! You don't really need Tiger (Lion and Orange Tabby??? Are those OS 10.5 and 10.6:p ). Believe there are still those using OS 9.0 :eek: here on campus!

    broken_keyboard has a very good point. It seems like the new PB equipped with the 100 GB HD is making strange noises. Check the forum!
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus


    Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR

    That's my expectation :)
  7. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
  8. Bishop macrumors newbie

    Jan 29, 2005
    I'm planning to buy a new PB also --- and I've decided to wait for Tiger's release. Why?

    1) I can't bring myself to spend $100 on Tiger, knowing I could've gotten it for "free" by waiting a few months. (My Mac at home is still capable, so I can afford to wait.)
    2) With the $100 you would've spent on Tiger, you could spend it on more practical items, like more RAM, software, etc.

    Sure, playing the waiting game can be a vicious, unhealthy cycle, but that's if you're waiting on the possibility of a upgrade/revision, which (and please correct me if I'm wrong) are usually made public with little or no advance notice.

    We've been told Tiger is coming. And if Apple plans to keep its release deadline of "within the first half of '05", expect it to be here by June 30.
  9. yellow Moderator emeritus


    Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    What if it doesn't come out until October?

    After all, we've been promised stuff from Apple before.. (3.0GHz barrier, I'm looking in your direction!)
  10. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    It all depends on your need. If you can continue using your Windows until June, then it might be smart.

    IMHO it would be a smart move. I would be the same thing. With WWDC just a little over three months away, very smart.
  11. therevolution macrumors 6502

    May 12, 2003
    Are you a college student, by any chance?

    If so, you should sign up with Apple's Student Developer Program. It will cost $99, but you get two things:
    • A one-time discount towards a new machine (I saved $470 off retail on my PowerBook this way, which easily makes up for the $99 by itself)
    • A free copy of Tiger mailed to you when it is released
    This would solve your problem nicely, but it only works if you're a student (or know one, perhaps).
  12. step thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 23, 2005
    Thanks for all your comments...

    I may choose to wait as my PCs still work fine with me, and more importantly, till now Mac OS X still have problem in my favorite game world of warcraft :eek: . I choose to wait, since I can still play and work with PC, and I would like both Apple and Blizzard solve the problem.

    But, for work, PBs with OS X really rock. I have my PC installed with cygwin, a unix like port, and I also have one with pure linux. I really like the OS X since it is till now the best blend of popular easy to use UI and popular UNIX system. (my work always need X windows to remote to a workstation)

    I I feel it in a roadshow and the educational discount did actract me.. em :confused: I have to think it over again....
  13. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020


    If you need it or want it, get it now. There's always some sort of update looming on the horizon.
  14. aussie_geek macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Don't I know it - I have had some $$ set aside for a new G5 for a few months now ;)

  15. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

    Jan 23, 2005
    Good prices on Apple refurbs...

    Go to Apple's on-line store and check the AppleCertified Section.

    Right now pB's start from 1099.99 USD... If you wanna save some money. :D
  16. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    What??? I'm an ADC Student Member and I never heard anything about a free copy of Tiger...
  17. IDANNY macrumors 6502a


    Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    I didnt wait and couldnt be happier with my powerbook. If I were you and 100 bucks isnt that much to you I wouldnt wait. :)

Share This Page