Should I wait for WWDC to buy a new PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macreator, Jun 4, 2004.

1. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

So I'm in the market for a new PowerBook. Should I wait until WWDC to buy a PowerBook or is there no chance of them releasing a G5 PowerBook and I should just buy a PowerBook now?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i would be amazed if the powerbook line would be changed this year another time, but i guess it doesn't hurt to wait for a few weeks.

3. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Powerbooks were just released, it would be terrible buisness practices to upgrade them that soon. My guess it don't worry about g5 pb coming out till next january.

4. macreator thread starter macrumors regular

macreator

So I guess then now is a good time for me to buy a new PB. I am considering either the 12 inch of the 15 inch PowerBook. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

5. kelvinz macrumors member

I'm not a mac guy but personally I think its a really bad time to pay the premium price of getting a new PB.

For the simple reason that the G4 processor has been around for 4 years now.

There has to be a reaplcement processor coming soon. According to what people have told me on here Intel and Amd are far ahead when it come to processing power in Laptops.

6. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

hahahahahahaah, no of course not! Buy now, I highly doubt they will have new PB. Thanks for this post, it's made my day!

7. Gherkin macrumors 6502

haha.

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I would wait cause you never know what special deals they will offer...buy a powerbook get a free iBox...just kidding, but you never know what they will come out with or offer...since there is lots on the table you never know. Maybe a price drop in Powerbooks since it will be a very old processor and if they are really coming out with iMac G5 then they may feel like they need to drop the price to sell enough until they replace the G4 to a G5.

I would wait personally.

9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering the exact same thing, I'm dying to get 15" 1.33 GHz but that stupid rumor messed up my plans.
    There is probably extremely low possibility for that to happen but if they release G5 I'll be whining for years...
    I suggest you go for 15" one, much nicer and better screen.

10. macreator thread starter macrumors regular

macreator

From what you guys have been saying it sounds like I should wait until WWDC to be safe. After WWDC if they don't release a new PB should I buy then or continue to wait. I'm not a big fan of waiting around but I do not want to buy a PB now or within the month and then have Apple release a PBG5 a month later.

11. James L macrumors 6502a

1) Apple JUST released new powerbooks 6 weeks ago.

2) There WAS a significant price drop in my opinion. The price lowered, and additionally the price for upgrading the hard drive and ram lowered, and you were given the option of the extended video ram too!

3) Apple has never updated a PB within 2 months of a previous update. Some people point to the Nov 2002 15" update, then the Jan 2003 12" and 17" debut as proof they have. The truth of that update is that Apple didn't update the 15" until Sept 2003, 10 months later!

4) While we here in North America received our orders quite quickly, I know people in other countries who are just receiving their orders now.

Personally, I think the thought of anything to do with the PB lineup at WWDC is a crock. That rumor you speak of came from an anonymous source, with no proof, and the site pulled it. It could have been made by a 15 year old windows user for all we know. The machine was just updated, it had a price drop at the same time.... I'd say there won't be another update until Sept or Jan.

Wait if you want, but don't wait past WWDC. I think the next PB update will be the G5 in Jan 2005 (almost 18 months from the G5 debut, which is exactly how long it took for the G4 to go from desktop to laptop). The G5 powerbook is going to be a HUGE thing, and Apple isn't just going to release it one day, they will probably save it for a show. The next show after WWDC is Apple Expo Paris in September, after that one in Nov (can't remember which), and then MWSF in January. I hope that helps!

Cheers!

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would go for the 12 inch powerbook. If you are doing stuff like video and painting you should get the 15 inch for the better screen. I am on a 12 inch Powerbook and it is great. Very sharp and clear. If you are going to do anything else the 12 inch would suit you well. If the only thing you will be doing with your computer is surfing the web, word processing, and chatting the 12 inch ibook will do the Job perfectly. I do just that but, my dad bought me the powerbook so how can you deny a free powerbook.

13. wide macrumors 6502a

no

that's my answer. apple can't release new powerbooks that soon, or people would throw molotov cocktails into their headquarters!! hehe...if you want to be safe you might as well wait till then, but I would order it now and enjoy it because i am (almost) completely certain the next powerbook revisions will not be until november, earliest, more likely is dec or jan

14. macreator thread starter macrumors regular

macreator

Do you think the next PowerBook revision (whenever it may be) will add a G5 processor or do you think there will be G4 revisions before that?

15. seelab macrumors member

I think you should wait. I am waiting to buy a powebook since one year and i'm not gonna spend my cash for a G4 powerbook. G5 powerbook will be released at WWDC or Paris Expo in september. Apple know the last powerbook upgrade isn't attractive at all (that's why they are cheaper than before).
    The current powerbook line is really bad and the G5 is coming really soon, believe me.

16. DGFan macrumors 6502a

We're not going to see G5 powerbooks this year. The current PB line is very attractive price-performance wise. If you need a laptop get one and don't look back....

17. OziMac macrumors 6502

Welcome to the forums Seelab...

... and to the land of fairies and little green men :p

... I would be honoured to hear the inside scoop you have as to new G5 Powerbooks at WWDC or Paris... I always knew those Apple VP's were up to no good, spreading evil lies with their words of deceit... :rolleyes:

So you can understand how upset I am that I just bought my Powerbook this week - damn you Apple! :D

18. NESmac macrumors newbie

Hello there. Ive been a mac user for almost ten years and like many others im expecting to see the new apple powerbook processor. Actually the most interesting qestion is what will be the next chip IMB or motorola? I have a dual g5 2.0ghz and anyone who has seen its inside can hardly imagine a way to put all that cool stuff in a laptop. I would recommend you all to wait until next sf expo to see all those rumors come true.

19. seelab macrumors member

Hi, i've no inside scoop but in september, it will be 6 months since the last powerbook update. I'm sure the price drop in the current line means something: an update is not so far and they had to give people a reason to buy the current (crappy) models. What do you think Steve will introduce @ Paris in september if PowerMac and iMac are updated now (i mean @ WWDC).

20. DGFan macrumors 6502a

You're certainly entitled to the opinion that the current models are crappy. Just be aware that there are many people who do not share that sentiment.

And just because Apple is dropping the price a little bit doesn't mean that new models are around the corner. Component prices do tend to fall over time (although a price hike going to a new architecture like the G5 wouldn't be surprising).

Suggesting that PBs will be updated in Paris because everything else already has is ignoring recent history. The 12" and 17" PBs came out of the blue. So did iSight.....Garageband....

There are many Apple products rumored to be in development. Not the least of which is likely to be a new iPod (the subject of news late last week).

If Jobs has his way you won't hear anything definite about a new product until the keynote.

So go ahead and enjoy your opinion. But I would disagree that there is anything logical about it.

21. sandmann41 macrumors regular

The current models are far from crappy. I really don't understand why people are so hung up on getting a G5 into a Powerbook.

22. seelab macrumors member

.... why people are so hung up on getting a G5 into a Powermac ? into a iMac ?

Because they need some power, the powerbook is supposed to be a pro model. They are professionals working in Graphic Design, Video Production, 3D, etc ...... and time is money.
    The current powerbook line is very good (i would even say, too good) for students, businessmen, etc ... but personally, i need more. When i spend 3000/4000 $ for a computer, i'm expecting to keep it for at least 3 years and i am not satisfied with the current line. But i'm not trying to convince anyone, it's just my opinion. I've allways been very happy with my purchases in the past and when i buy something, i never look back (some friends of mine can't sleep when a more powerful model comes out ... i'm not like that).

23. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

you mean $2000-$3000? There's a BIG difference.

24. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

25. condor macrumors member

new promotions?

I too am going to wait until after WWDC to buy a new PB. I am not optimistic about updates, but what I am hoping is a new promotion. I am a .edu customer and remember when they had the $200 off an iPod last year. I am hoping they will do something similar this year, maybe a free iSight..

Does anyone know when the $200 off an iPod was originally announced? Since most of the current promotions end right before WWDC I am hoping they are going to announce a new "back to school" package. Does this normally happen around that time?