Should I wait on a new iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by augray, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. augray macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Malacandra
    #1
    Hey everyone,

    I've had my eyes set on an iMac for a while now (specifically, one filled to the brim with twenty-four inches of glorious screen size). But I decided to wait until MacWorld—that way I wouldn't risk getting a new computer, only to have it made obsolete in January.

    Unfortunately, it seems I've waited in vain, as there are no changes to Apple's iMac specs (there weren't even any rumors about it), or even any news about Apple's line of computers at all. This brings me to the question....

    Should I get a new iMac now, or should I hold out longer?

    I know it's possible that Apple will announce some more stuff later on this week, and I know Apple usually upgrades its iLife package regularly in January.

    Any thoughts?
     
  2. dhracer88 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2005
    #2
    I just ordered a 20" iMac a few hours ago. I was going to order in Dec, but Iwas waiting for iLife '07. Seeing as it wasn't released, I'm going for it! The iMac is much faster than my pc, so why wait any longer? Plus, using the 20" + my 19" LCD is gonna rock :D. (My P4, 1.5gb pc's becoming my new Linux server.)

    As the usual advice goes, wait if you don't need it, buy it if you do, or if you've been waiting a really long time!
     
  3. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #3
    Im in the same position as you...I was waiting exclusively for iLife 07. If I buy it now and it comes out in like 2 weeks, will I get a freeu pgrade?
     
  4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #4
    If it comes out in 2 weeks, you will probably get a free upgrade.
     
  5. Keirdre macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #5

    I am about to do exactly this, having also waited 'just in case'.

    Are you suggesting you can hook up your existing monitor to create dual screen? I might well try this!
     
  6. kerpow macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    Location:
    London
    #6
    I'm in the same situation but figure that since I've waited so long I'll probably see it out until Leopard arrives. I'm not desparate yet, my 12"PB is still working ok, just looking forward to more screen space.
     
  7. Keirdre macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #7
    I'm entirely new to Mac, so Tiger/Leopard won't make any difference to me! I'll upgrade to Leopard when it's been out a little while probably.
     
  8. dhracer88 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2005
    #8
    Yeah - my miniDVI to DVI adapter will be here tomorrow. iMac hasn't shipped yet (should ship tomorrow).

    http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html
     
  9. augray thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Malacandra
    #9
    Yeah, it's going to be sweet to be able to hook up a secondary display. Anybody think that the new Apple display rumors will come true anytime soon?

    I'm still a little apprehensive about springing for a new iMac just yet. Steve Jobs seemed to imply that they would be doing some cool stuff for their computers in the next several months. Maybe I should just go for it and not look back?

    I'm looking forward to replacing my current machine—a dual 500 Mhz PowerMac G4. It's been faithful, but it's starting to slow me down.
     
  10. ToddW macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2004
    #10
    i'm on a rev a iMac G5 and don't plan on even thinking about upgrading until leopard comes out. i really want t 24 inch imac and the refurbs have a helluva price point 1699 is a really good price. but i think i will wait awhile. mine is still hanging in there and doing well. i just reformatted for the first time in 2 years and runs better than i can ever imagine.
     
  11. Goman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2007
    #11
    Same question here. I would love to buy a 24" IMac, but I just can't stand the idea of Apple updating it any time soon... I just wish Apple was a little more open in releases.

    On the other hand... Just look at the thing...:cool:
     
  12. no-direction macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2007
    Location:
    Stevenage, England
    #12
    Exactly the same situation here too! I was waiting for MWSF as I thought that new iLife and iWork versions were a dead-cert.

    I'm finding it hard to wait much longer on an iMac but I don't want it to be updated almost as soon as I've bought it!
     
  13. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

    DarkNetworks

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    #13
    After what happened @ MW I'll say just buy it.
     
  14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #14
    Wait, A new Os is coming and Apple will want to tie all the TV & Phone stuff in the new OS. Watch & see. Plus iMac will get a new face so why be stuck with old tech. Allways buy when the new stuff comes out not a year later. Thats Apple.
     
  15. valdore macrumors 65816

    valdore

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Kansas City, Missouri. USA
    #15
    This seems to be a recurring theme around here.

    I'm waiting for a processor and/or form factor update on the iMac before taking the plunge.
     
  16. kerpow macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    Location:
    London
    #16
    I not too worried about the processor upgrade, Quad Core won't make a huge difference than Dual Core. But the iMac has been updated every 2-3 years so a face lift is due sometime this year.
     
  17. Keirdre macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #17
    I took the plunge and ordered my first iMac. The current version looks great to me, and as its my first Mac, I'll be wowed regardless.
     

Share This Page