should i wait to buy a new powerbook? (new system)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alpenkind, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. alpenkind macrumors newbie

    Oct 13, 2003
    new york city
    i want to purchase a powerbook now but am wondering if i should wait til the new system is out? or can i get a upgrade easily (=cheaper, not full price) as a recent apple-product buyer? anyone any advice on this one? thanks!
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    what? new system? G5 PB?

    considering apple just came out with the updated G4 PB, you will probably have to wait at least half a year before another revision. (maybe even longer) if you want a PB now, just go get one now. you will (could) be waiting for quite some time.

    what do you mean by "upgrade"? hardware? software? no hardware vendor (not just Apple) will give you a hardware "upgrade." only way you can get an "upgrade" is if newly spec'ed machines come out while your purchased mac can still be returned. (10 days for apple... i hear up to 30 days for some PCs) then you can return (paying a restocking fee, probably) and re-purchase the new one.

    of course, i could be wrong, new PB could be announced in Jan., which would be only 3 months from the last update. but i generally subscribe to the idea that if you need/want something, you should just go get it now. (esp. since the last upgrade was only a month ago.)
  3. scottwat macrumors regular

    Oct 9, 2003
    Ohio USA
    I think you are in the same boat as me, I am waiting alittle while for atleast panther to come pre-installed. Though I am debating on waiting on the next revision of the powerbook. Just not sure if 1.25ghz is enough for all I want to do. ie. run Virtual PC and Visual studio, Access, etc so I can keep up with college classes. I must say I plan on selling my dell laptop to help pay the cost of the new system.
  4. alpenkind thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 13, 2003
    new york city
    i just called up apple and they told me that i can get the new system for $20 once it's out if i buy my powerbook now. sweet.
  5. jkeithh macrumors regular

    Oct 13, 2002
    I just bought a PowerBook on Saturday and I qualified for the $19.95 upgrade. To me, it was worth paying the $19.95 because of all the problems I had when I first ordered my Powerbook and Airborne lost it in transit. My thought is, if you can wait for the Powerbook for a few more weeks then go ahead and wait...if not, then go ahead and order and then pay $19.95 for the Panther upgrade. To me, it was worth the $19.95 so I could go ahead and get my Powerbook.
  6. drastik macrumors 6502a


    Apr 10, 2002
    Ah, you mean system software, i.e. Panther. Go ahead and get the PB. It'll hav plenty of muscle to do what you want and You can get Pather for free if you go to an Apple Store, the $20 price is actually for shipping of the CDs.
  7. fraeone macrumors regular


    Sep 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Are there any advantages to having Panther on the System Restore cds that come with the system? I am a fan of formatting my drive when a major OS revision comes out, but I wouldn't want to lose iDVD and whatever else comes on a new PB but doesn't come with Panther. Can you wipe your PB, install Panther, and then grab the iLife stuff off of the old Jag Restore CD? or does iLife come on separate cds?

  8. yamabushi macrumors 65816


    Oct 6, 2003
    iLife also has some updates at the same time as the Panther release.

Share This Page