Should I wait to order Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macNEWBIEswitch, Dec 14, 2006.

1. macNEWBIEswitch macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2006
    I'm sure this has already been discussed, but could I get the official verdict and not "just" a rumor:

Should I wait to order Applecare until like 11 mos. later and thereby realize an add'l 3 yrs. from that moment?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    The length of coverage doesn't change if you order it at the beginning or end of the first year. You do, however, miss out on the first year's phone support coverage.

One reason to wait would be simple budgeting, another might be to see if the machine feels like it's going to be problematic if you're not yet sure you want the coverage.
  3. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Jun 23, 2005
    Doesn't matter - Applecare is only good for 2 years in addition to your first year.

The only bonus to buying early is the telephone tech support between days 91 and 365 of the first year.
  4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Don't buy it now on credit, save up. If you have the cash, put it in a CD or something and you can make like $15 and buy it in a year.
  5. macNEWBIEswitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2006
    It's good to know the facts, thanks.

LP: :confused:
  6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Also what type of machine is it? if its a mac pro. Then I would not get applecare unless the machine has problems. If its a laptop I would think about it alot more.
  7. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    It really depends on whether that machine is "for keeps".

If you are going to upgrade within the year chances are you won't need it.