Should I wait until after WWDC before I buy a 12" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Apple!Freak, May 30, 2005.

  1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

    Apple!Freak

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    East Coast
    #1
    I can't decide. See, I am leaving for a big two-week out-of-country trip on the 10th and I wanted to have my PB before I left. The dilemma I'm in, is should I purchase the 12" PB now or should I wait until after the WWDC keynote to assure the PB line or more specifically, the 12" PB is not updated?

    I could always get the PB on the 6th per say there is no update but if there is, I will be Powerbook-less on my trip considering if announced the 6th, there is no chance it will be in stores (Apple Store) by the 10th, or rather 9th.

    What do you guys think? Should I wait?
     
  2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #2
    I'd say wait. But if you don't think you can do without a computer for 2 weeks, then go ahead and get one. Besides, I doubt there's going to be updates to the PB line so soon. Only the iBooks are expected to get updates.

    But then again, I'm hoping Jobs surprises us with new PB's with the freescale chips.
     
  3. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apple!Freak

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    East Coast
    #3
    Freescale chips? Please shed some light on this.
     
  4. deebster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2004
    Location:
    Olde Englande
    #4
    A search will bring up plenty of threads discussing these new chips.

    Basically (very basically :)), they are faster than the current G4 and may well make their way into the PB, possibly even iB line soon, as it seems shoehorning a G5 in there is not too easy.
     
  5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

    Xtremehkr

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #5
    The answer to this question is almost always yes, it's hard to tell what they will do. The iMacs just had an update, do I'll doubt anything will happen with them.
     
  6. me_94501 macrumors 65816

    me_94501

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    #6
    I would say buy now if WWDC wasn't only one week away. If you can hold off a week, wait. I personally don't expect anything at WWDC, but better safe than sorry. ;)
     
  7. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apple!Freak

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    East Coast
    #7
    I'm thinking I could get it now and then return it, if need be -- a new PB comes out. Only problem is I would be hit with a 10% restocking fee, wouldn't I?
     
  8. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #9
    Only if it's been opened or if you also do a BTO (I think).
     
  9. themacman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    kc
  10. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #11
    save it just in case that 10% chance happens but u'll be ok if u get it now
     
  11. ravenvii macrumors 604

    ravenvii

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    Location:
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    #12
    Well, if you NEED the PowerBook for the trip, then go ahead and get it now, you're right there's almost no chance it will be physically in store by the 10th. But do know that if it does update on the 6th, it will suck for you. No PowerBook on trip or PowerBook outdated in 6 days, which one is suckier for you? You decide.
     
  12. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #13
    Depending on how you approach the return, Apple could refuse. It has happen to others. Personally I would wait and save the hassle. What you end up doing will really depend on how badly you need a Mac on vacation.

    I doubt that an update would be available the same day.
     
  13. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

    Freg3000

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #14
    Since we are this close...wait. Like it has been said, better safe then sorry.
     
  14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

    GFLPraxis

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    #15
    There are two versions of the e600 Freescale G4 chips.

    Single core: Slightly faster than current, but take way less power.
    Dual core: Same power requirements but over double the speed :D
     
  15. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

    buryyourbrideau

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago
    #16
    EXACTLY

    if they even do update them, the updated books probably wont be availible for at least a week or two on the apple store and then it still has to ship, so even if you wait you wont have your pb on the trip.

    guess its up to you to see what is more important
     
  16. panda macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2004
    #17
    i'd wait

    seems to me waiting makes sense.

    if there are (unlikely) any updates, then you could either:

    - get one immediately (if available)
    - buy an existing model cheaper
    - like the update so much that it is worth delaying the purchase till after the trip

    as wwdc is just next week, why not wait?

    :)
     
  17. auxplage macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #18
    The 667mhz FSB would help tremendously with the speed increase.
     
  18. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apple!Freak

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    East Coast
    #19
    Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

    I think what I'm going to do is wait until the keynote on the 6th and if an update does not come out just purchase the PB on the 6th. If a new one does indeed launch, I would rather go without a Powerbook for the two weeks and have a brand new PB waiting for me when I get back.
     
  19. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #20
    Could you elaborate on that statement. I was under the impression that if you got a stock (not BTO) config and the box was unopened you had something like 10 days to return it without penalty.
     
  20. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apple!Freak

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    East Coast
    #21
    14 days.
     
  21. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #22
    Like I said, something like 10 days :). Still curious about Apple rejecting returns though.
     
  22. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apple!Freak

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    East Coast
    #23
    Alright, well I was at the mall today and just decided to purchase the Powerbook. My plan is to keep the box sealed until the 6th. The minute I find out there are no updates, I will open it. -- OR -- The minute I find out a 13.3" Widescreen with Freescale processor has been announced, I will run back to the Apple store, return the PB, get store credit, and on my return from my trip, buy the new PB.

    Good plan, eh? :p
     
  23. swy32x macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    #24
    Sit the box on your desk.

    Tear a little away at the box. C'mon, stay with me now.

    Ok, maybe you could just tear away a little more ...

    I'll give you 15 mins til it's open :p
     
  24. cilantro macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2005
    #25
    I guess it helps if you aren't a college student (in which case you have to get it through the website if you want the discount) and aren't going to want anything non-standard. I suppose I tend to think nobody just buys it in the box anymore. As it is, good choice. (But I'm inclined to be optimistic about Monday.)
    Of course...surely you could get out a hair dryer and just unstick the seals...you've probably got a gluestick around, you could put them back on, right? right? It can't be that hard...
     

Share This Page